free website stats program starter problem | Harley Davidson Forums

starter problem

bbbabe66

I have a 99 ultra classic with a starter problem. periodically I hit the start button n nothing happens. Release the button hit it again n it fires right up.Sometimes I hit it twice n nothing n starts on 3rd time. Sometimes when I hit the start button n it doesn't start, I hear a ping under the seat. I changed the starter relay, nothing. I pulled the back off the starter where the selonoid is. Pulled out a plunger with a big copper washer. Someone told me to turn the washer around, I could not get it off, so I cleaned it up with emery cloth, cleaned contacts in housing, put back together, 10 starts later same problem. I noticed at night when I hit the button n it don't start, the lights get dim. So button is not bad. Also put new battery in.

any suggestions?

I have a 99 ultra classic with a starter problem. periodically I hit the start button n nothing happens. Release the button hit it again n it fires right up.Sometimes I hit it twice n nothing n starts on 3rd time. Sometimes when I hit the start button n it doesn't start, I hear a ping under the seat. I changed the starter relay, nothing. I pulled the back off the starter where the selonoid is. Pulled out a plunger with a big copper washer. Someone told me to turn the washer around, I could not get it off, so I cleaned it up with emery cloth, cleaned contacts in housing, put back together, 10 starts later same problem. I noticed at night when I hit the button n it don't start, the lights get dim. So button is not bad. Also put new battery in.

any suggestions?

Welcome to the Forum, Try jumping across the solenoid with key on, does it turn over good?

Bad cable from battery or bad/dirty connection? I would remove cable and inspect it real good. Bend it and check for bad spot you cant see under the insulation. Clean and check grounds on both ends.

When that started happening to me on my '01 Dyna, it was the start button itself - lots of corrosion products in the switch. Took it apart and cleaned it up, and voila!!

TQ

When that started happening to me on my '01 Dyna, it was the start button itself - lots of corrosion products in the switch. Took it apart and cleaned it up, and voila!!

TQ

This is what happened to me with an old Honda. Sprayed electrical cleaner into the switch housing and never had another issue.

Sounds like you were at the right place when you tried to turn the "big washer" in the solenoid. As you probably noticed it moves forward and makes a connection between two studs making a direct connection between the battery and the starter. Did you clean those two studs also? If not I would suspect that is your problem as it worked fine for awhile. Also: I've seen quite a few bad negative connections at the battery or ground. Worth checking. Good luck.

I have a 95 tour glide that does the same thing. It seems to be in a connection somewhere. Solved the problem by installing a cheap aftermarket button that goes on the back of the solonoid. Push the button this engages the solonoid and it always starts. Works great till I find the problem.

Back