free website stats program Starter Problem or jackshaft | Harley Davidson Forums

Starter Problem or jackshaft

bbarbee

I hit the starter button and hear click, click, click, from the starter hitting the jackshaft. The jackshaft is sticking and won't go back in. And it won't turn the motor over to start. Its hard to get the jackshaft to go back in. Kinda new at this so I prolly sound alittle stupid but I need help. Thanks!

Welcome bbarbee, what year is your bike, do you have the primary cover off? First thing I would check is the starter mounting bolts. A little history helps also.

The motor is a 97. I'm really building it from the ground up. What should I look for as far as the starter bolts? Their tight. Iy seem that the jackshaft is getting in a bind. Is that possible or am I looking at it wrong?Thanks!

Has the bike ever started right? Seems I remember getting a new bike from the factory bake in 99 or 00 with this same problem, everythhing looked fine but what I found was the factory installed this coupling in backards, took it out, turned it around and the bike started every time like it should. It could be a problem in the starter but I would have a look at the coupling first if you're just now building it.

jackshaft.jpg

That could very well be the problem. I'm going to remove the jackshaft later today and give it a look over.

I am leaning toward a weak starter. Is there any way I can check it to make sure this is the problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just thought, have you load tested the battery to be sure that it is not the cause of the problem? Also clean the terminals and reinstall them and give it a try.

It's a new battery. Only been crank on about 10 times. The voltage after try'n to crank drops down to around 10 volts. Right now I have a trickle charger thats been on it since yesterday and it's reading 12.01. Again I am new at this and don't mean to sound like an idiot!

What kind of battery is it? with a full charge it should be reading 12.6-12.8 volts. It might not hurt like Glider said, to have it load tested to be sure?

Watch the retaining rings when you take it apart. One goes inside. It is hard to do even with the right tools.

Stupid me! My charger is junk! Borrowed someone elses charger and charged the battery.Not starter or jackshaft. BATTERY. Thank you everyone!

Back