free website stats program Starter issue. | Harley Davidson Forums

Starter issue.

propflux01

I have a starting issue on the Wife's New (Used 03) Road King. During starting, I'm getting a whirring sound with the engine seeming to turn over slowly. Hit it again and it may do the same, may just start normally. Since the engine is turning no matter which symptom I get, I was thinking starter clutch. So I did a search here, read a few threads that mimicked my issue, ran across the "starter Troubleshooting" page and read "The whirring-screeching noise usually means a toasty starter clutch". that about sounds just like my issue. So, I go looking in the book on how to change this out, and got kinda confused. Do I have to remove the clutch basket/chain for all of this or can I just get it from removing the starter assy itself? I'd like to get all the needed parts, gaskets, etc before I start this, and of course, don't want to remove anything I don't need to...

You have to remove the primary cover to get to the nut to remove the starter gear. Then the starter can be removed from the other side. You do not have to remove the clutch assembly. I've done it a few times on mine. Not hard to do, there are steps in the help section.

HD0309005017.gif

Item 42 is the bolt to be removed.....

Back