free website stats program starter gear | Harley Davidson Forums

starter gear

spartacus55

I have 2007 road king with 16,000 miles. Whenever i start the bike in the morning i have no problem but after a short ride to the store or gas station when i go to start the bike the starter seems to whine and then bang loudly a few times and then after the third or fourth time hitting the starter button it turns over. Is anyone out there having similar problems.

+1 on Joe's suggestion. There have been several reports of problems with the compensators on the 96". Can't really think of any known starter/ring gear problems.

+1 on Joe's suggestion. There have been several reports of problems with the compensators on the 96". Can't really think of any known starter/ring gear problems.

07 models did have a problem with ring gears, When I had mine done I talked to the tech, he had already done 6 of them, including mine, The saving grace on mine the MOCO paid for a new clutch pack also:p

The whining noise is the starter turning over without engaging the ring gear...the bang noise is most likely pinion gear (starter gear) barely grabbing the ring gear.
Quick fix is to add a push start button on starter solenoid...since it starts after your bike gets hot I would replace the coil after cleaning it...

jf

Back