Starter Clutch?

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by 89 FXRS, Oct 20, 2012.

1. 89 FXRS

89 FXRS Active Member

Was wondering if I could get some feedback as far as any aftermarket starter clutches. there's a company called Motorcycle Electric Suppliers (MES) that claim to have a lifetime warranty of their clutches and another one from a company called All Balls Racing that I've read a little about ,but would like to get some feedback from some forum members if at all possible - feel free to mention any other brands as well - the clutch would be for a 2001 Road Glide - thanks

2. btsom

btsom Active Member

Never heard of MES. I installed an AllBalls starter drive (includes the clutch) on an 08 Road King about 2 years and 20,000 miles ago. Excellent so far.

3. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

Allballs starter drive for a 1584 2008? Their website must not be complete, I couldn't find it. Where did you buy yours?

4. btsom

btsom Active Member

I've taken a lot of naps since then and any answer I gave now would be just a guess. I'll have to go through my stuff and see if I can find the paperwork.

5. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

6. btsom

btsom Active Member

7. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

8. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

9. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

89 FXRS,
    I got your PM and answered it this morning. I need to know the the Motor Mods.

Might just as well post it here.

Your kick back problem needs to be adressed...
    NO starter clutch will hold up getting Kick-backs. Cause of them Needs to be addressed first.

Answer my ? i sent you this AM, so others can chime in here also.

The All Balls lookes nice but I'm Just awake :newsmile100:

signed....BUBBIE

10. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

89 FXRS,

In your PM back to me , you said basicly a 95 in motor,stock heads using a TW50 cams...

I can't see you having a starting issue with that. Using the tw50 cams and 95" flat top pistons, shows compression to be 8.28:1 corrected compression...

The Timing has to be the problem here. Check your timing device and retard it until it will start with No kick-back.. Use only high octane fuel in it. pump gas, 90,91,92...

166.3 compression at sea-level should Not be hard to start.

IF it were 190 or more Yes, then maybe.:D

signed....BUBBIE