free website stats program Start Thinking About Keeping Warm | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Start Thinking About Keeping Warm

i have just invested in a new set of winter gear - full gore-tex, with z-liners, and a winter liner, in both the jacket and pants, new full gore-tex gloves, an i already have my leather gore-tex boots.
I know the stuff i have bought is exceptional in the cold as my last lot lasted almost 5 yrs before it leaked and layered correctly was warm down to -26C (includes wind chill)

I can see you now Hobbit, -26C and riding your Harley.

For me, "winter", IE, no riding, starts at 50 degrees. I just can't handle the cold anymore due to arthritis. But when I was much younger I rode in all kinds of cold and nasty weather, and I always found layering and a full face shield, and a good set of chaps and gloves, made a cold ride "tolerable", but it never made it ENJOYABLE.

If it ain't fun, why do it? That's why God made cars!

Whoa...God made cars!??? Don't know what brand! But I thought Harley's were heaven sent...! :D As for cold weather riding, I like it cool and sunny in SoCal best, layered in leather: HeinGericke Jacket, Vest, Chaps, and Face/Neckwarmer, good down to 40 degrees F :)

The riders in New England have the best autumn riding...Mid West and South in the Spring, but here in SoCal we ride 10 months out of the year, and NoCal is wet December & January usually "colder" but still shirt sleeve weather for Smitty, Canuck and company...:57:

If you guys ever get out here to California...try the coastal Hwy 1 route NorCal for the Redwoods (loop into Napa/Sonoma for the wineries) and Hwy 1 SoCal for the Montery Highlands and Central Coast Wineries in the morning and afternoon before the wind or coastal fog comes in...plenty of technical knarly roads to wring out your road skills, but you will like it...just bring good non-polarized sunglasses to take the edge off the glare, but keep the natural colors dialed in...hows that keeping you warm just thinking 'bout it. :ap

Last edited:
Chaps are great, keep the wind off the legs, that's most of the battle right there. Neophrene gator neck / mask for the face & neck. But what I love is the long underwear made from silk. Check out [removed].

Last edited by a moderator:
I just saw that Tourmaster has a complete outfit (jacket,pant's and gloves) for sale for $420.00 in one of the mag's I have. I will try to find the listing and post it....

Ok, guys. . . don't be too harsh, but my wife, (honest) wants to have a heated seat. Does anyone have experience with the ones that you install yourself. I'm looking at these from Seatheater.com. Any help would be helpful.
Ugly John

JMHO is that a heated seat really doesn't do much for you. The heat from the engine will warm the seat a bit in any event. Best to get some electric jacket liners or electric gloves etc. as an alternative to keep her warm.

Yeah, I have to agree with you Glider. However, she has a heated jacket liner, heated Polly grip inserts on the way. Problem is that she test road a HD at the shop that had heated seat and really liked it..... a lot. Good grief. . . the things I have to think about to keep her happy! :D I guess I'll put install one and call it good. For a $100 bucks it might be worth it if you know what I mean. :bigsmiley20:
Ugly John

Ok, guys. . . don't be too harsh, but my wife, (honest) wants to have a heated seat. Does anyone have experience with the ones that you install yourself. I'm looking at these from Seatheater.com. Any help would be helpful.
Ugly John

I'm thinkin this would heat up the rear end:

Sorry couldn't help it.

Attachments

• PecanWithHolesThumbnail.jpg
    PecanWithHolesThumbnail.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 3
Yeah, I have to agree with you Glider. However, she has a heated jacket liner, heated Polly grip inserts on the way. Problem is that she test road a HD at the shop that had heated seat and really liked it..... a lot. Good grief. . . the things I have to think about to keep her happy! :D I guess I'll put install one and call it good. For a $100 bucks it might be worth it if you know what I mean. :bigsmiley20:
Ugly John

Easier to keep them happy than to hear them whine. :bigsmiley20:

Back