free website stats program Start Hesitation, slight backfire and smoke coming out of air cleaner area | Harley Davidson Forums

Start Hesitation, slight backfire and smoke coming out of air cleaner area

rcwheelman

The past two times at work I've brought my bike its been sitting in the sun all day which isn't good for my paint but shouldn't effect engine starts should it?

Passed two times if tried to start the bike at work. She will crank and fire and then almost backfire and spits smoke out the air cleaner. 99% of the time she cranks and fires up without a hitch, specially in the morning in the garage.

after it stalls and I go to start it again there is a hesitation on firing then when it does fire its fine.

Is there something to worry about here?

Facts: I did put in fuel additive before winter storage. I have since ran the tank empty and have refilled with fresh high octane and am now at the half way mark on the new tank.

Thanks guys.

Mine does the same exact thing. I am pretty sure the timing is too advanced. Do you have a different cam or have messed with the ignition module?

Mine does the same exact thing. I am pretty sure the timing is too advanced. Do you have a different cam or have messed with the ignition module?

stock cam, upgraded air cleaner, upgraded pipes, performance tuner, remapped at 1000 miles.

Could be running a bit lean. I'd have a look at the plugs and see if they're a real light or white color. If the plugs look to be the color of peanut butter thats what you want to see. I'd start there before messing with the timing any. Also, spray some WD-40 around the intake manifold while its idling (have an extenguisher handy) and listen for any change in idle. It could be an intake leak.

Could just be a spring time thing after sitting for the winter, if there are no trouble codes, I would install a new set of plugs and run a few tanks of fuel thru her, she'll be fine.

Could just be a spring time thing after sitting for the winter, if there are no trouble codes, I would install a new set of plugs and run a few tanks of fuel thru her, she'll be fine.

Cool ill try that first. Thanks guys
WAP.gif

Back