free website stats program Standard as a touring bike?? | Harley Davidson Forums

Standard as a touring bike??

Silvertip

The wife is looking at a sotail standard. We do at least one long 6000km trip each year. Any body have any suggestions or pro's & cons of touring on a standard?
Thanks

The wife is looking at a sotail standard. We do at least one long 6000km trip each year. Any body have any suggestions or pro's & cons of touring on a standard?
Thanks

Sure thing, I rode one in 2000, from Minnesota to sturgis and back with no problems:s

Consider a windshield for the longer trips. Some kind of luggage. you may not want monted saddlebags as they kind of take away from the looks (IMHO)

once took a summer run of just about 9500 miles on a fxst. made some good friends/memories. you got to be a little tougher, and pack a little smarter. when i got back, within a week i had my first ultra. my .02

It is possible to tour on almost any motorcycle however the amount of stuff you can carry and the amount of miles you can cover in 1 day may be different from that of touring bike
I personally use my softail custom with large throw over bags as my touring bike my bike has a sissy bar and rear rack the rack is used to hold a dry bag with stuff in it and i can use the pillion seat for additional stuff all held tight to the sissy bar using bungee cords
touring to me is moving through countryside enjoying the ride and the views and seeing what is there
however to some people touring is covering as much miles as you can in 1 day

Brian

Attachments

• IMAG0015 (Medium).jpg
    IMAG0015 (Medium).jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMAG0016 (Medium).jpg
    IMAG0016 (Medium).jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMAG0017 (Medium).jpg
    IMAG0017 (Medium).jpg
    104 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Windshield and bags are a must IMHO.
However your age and physical condition are also factors .
Now I have an EGC I could never go back to a softail for touring.
Dave

As others have said, you can tour on any bike it is all a matter of storage and comfort. My personal opion would be go with the Heritage Classic better storage and a lot more comfort. Again just my thought.

I tour with my 03 FXST. HD detachable saddle bags and Tour Master luggage. I have extended forward controls and a Sundowner seat.

http://www.hdtimeline.com/attachmen...php?attachmentid=8275&stc=1&d=1288778229http:I'm 63 years old with a bad back and retired. I rode from upstate Ny to Key west FL then to New Orleans and back. Took my time and did a lot of sightseeing (5,000 miles/ 3 weeks). Went to the 105th. took the long way (5,000 miles/ 1 week).

Can you tour on a softail? My answer yes and I will keep my bike till it can no longer be repaired or I can no longer ride.

Attachments

• 0801101304.jpg
    0801101304.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 43
  • 0813101858c.jpg
    0813101858c.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 44
  • HPIM2366.jpg
    HPIM2366.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 49
  • HPIM2761.jpg
    HPIM2761.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 46
Since my wife got her on bike , I traded my 08 Ultra for a 2010 Heritage , best move I ever made. No need for for the Ultra unless you 2 up a lot. Now we both ride Heritage softails & love em, can't beat the way they handle.:D

Back