free website stats program Squeaky Brakes | Harley Davidson Forums

Squeaky Brakes

lowrider1963

Just had my 1,000 mile service and noticed my rear brakes 'squeak' when I use them. I know it is probably just road dust, but can I just use brake cleaner on them?

Just had my 1,000 mile service and noticed my rear brakes 'squeak' when I use them. I know it is probably just road dust, but can I just use brake cleaner on them?

On My bike, Bi-weekly when ridden a lot, I take a Water Hose and carefully wash out All the break dust from the total breaking system.. I get a Ton of Black water when I do this... Always have washed the breaks this way and put many trouble free miles on my bikes. Blow dry if you have the tools to do so and carefully apply breaks on the first ride out to make sure they are Dry and working,,, not grabbing.

The break clean "IMO" is too harsh, Unless you've gotten oil or ???? on them.

signed....BUBBIE

If i got sqeeky brakes i would pull the pads and put some copper grease on the back of the pads that normally keeps them quiet
i usually take the pads out clean and re coat them with copper grease when the bike is being serviced
i do the car prior to winter and again in the spring

Brian

No oil, just seams like dust/dirt. I was hoping to clean them without having to pull out the hose every time. I have an air compressor that I might try first.

If i got sqeeky brakes i would pull the pads and put some copper grease on the back of the pads that normally keeps them quiet
i usually take the pads out clean and re coat them with copper grease when the bike is being serviced
i do the car prior to winter and again in the spring

Brian

Silglide will work on the brake pads also, Napa carries it by name, you can use it on any rubber parts and electrical connections also:s

No oil, just seams like dust/dirt. I was hoping to clean them without having to pull out the hose every time. I have an air compressor that I might try first.

The bad thing about using an air compressor is the micro-dust will be airbourne for a long time and you and your loved ones will be breathing it in. True, it is no longer asbestos, but sintered metal bits is no joy either.. As Bubbie says used light bit of running water in a small catch pan, put the water off to the side and let it evaporate out, the residue you can wipe out with a rag and discard. Not that great to let it wash into storm drains either...it is hazardous waste..brake dust and water is acidic, look what it does to wheels if it stays on them.shheeessshhhh no easy solution here!:bigsmiley29:

Back