free website stats program squeak up front | Harley Davidson Forums

squeak up front

lowrider13

I have a 04 RK classic, lately I am getting a noise when bike is warmed up that sounds like a chirping noise 0r rubber against rubber maybe. I went I hit a bump it seems to be heard. It doesn't seem to do it when first out , but later in the ride it appears. Any help would be appreciated.

I had an 03 RKC and had a squeek / chirp sound.
Ended up being the rubber insulators on the rear mount for the mufflers. When up to temp and the noise is happening put your boot on the end of the muffler to see it it changes.

I think Joel has you covered. I had the same problem on my '03 UC. Kept trying to oil/lube it which would work for a few weeks and then the noise would return. I finally just bit the bullet and replaced them with new isolators. Problem solved. I guess the elastomer just gets hard after a while exposed to high temps.

Cheers,

TQ

Went out and jiggled the left exhaust and it does squeak a bit. I will change them out and hopefully this will end the noise.

If you end up changing the rubber mounts pay attention how they come out so they can be installed the same way. Mounts can be put in backwards if you're not paying attention.

The rubber in the muffler mounts need a bit of lube once in a while, Silglide works good

On a trip once while the noise was chirping away, I stacked a couple pennies between the rubber and the plate. Tightend it up good and noise was gone.

Back