free website stats program springer front end adjustments | Harley Davidson Forums

springer front end adjustments

Can someone explain to me what the fallaway adjustment is on a springer.
Thanx
Tim

It's the method of adjusting the steering head bearing preload. It's covered in just about every manual for the bikes. It's done by tightening or loosening the steering head nut so once the front end is swung to the side that it returns to the middle in a pre determined amount of swings, usually once past center and back to center again.

Can someone explain to me what the fallaway adjustment is on a springer.
Thanx
Tim
I own an FX Springer, and do this myself. I have the tool that allows you to adjust the bearings by just taking off the acorn nut and gasket on the top triple tree of the front end. Place the adjustment tool in the 3 holes on the hex bearing retainer. You back off the pinch bolt on the triple tree before you do anything . Just loosen it up. You then hang a plumb bob off the little hole on the front fender. turn the the handlebar to left full lock. with the plumb bob hanging, set a measure stick under it, and have the plumb bob at 0 on the measure stick. You turn the handlebars until they are at the balance point. From the point the handlebars are centered to the distance they start to fall away to the right should be somewhere between 4-6" on the measure stick. If it is not in that ballpark, then you turn the tool one way or the other on the bearing retainer until you acheive this. After you have gotten this adjusted right, tighten the pinch bolt, replace the rubber gasket and acorn nut on the steering head bolt, tighten to specs, and there you are. Also lube the bearings with H-D special purpose grease until the grease comes out of the steering head. More than likely, you will not really have to adjust your bearings, but it is still good to check the adjustment anyway. I bought the tool to do this from an H-D dealer. It was $65. Well worth the cost when you figure what H-D dealers charge for labor these days.

Back