free website stats program Spring Road Trip Suggestions | Harley Davidson Forums

Spring Road Trip Suggestions

Slick02

I'm leaving the DFW area about the 5th of June for Louisville, Ky to meet up with my Sis and some other friends. Last summer we stayed pretty local doing a bunch of day rides, but this year I wanted to do something different. So we're leaving Sunday the 7th for Knoxville, Tn and plan on riding the Dragon on Monday. After that its up in the air, I have all week but I really dont know the area from a Biker point of view, so I'm looking for places to go and things to see. Any suggestions? Probably doing a mix of camping and motels, it depends on the others comming along.
Last year for the return trip home, I was having so much fun I stayed too long and had to ride the 867 miles home in 18 hours, This year I might have to round out my return a little and go for a SS1000.

If you make the trip to ride the Dragon, might as well ride the BlueRidge Parkway. The Parkway runs from near Cherokee NC all the way into Virginia over 400 miles of beautiful scenery and places to camp or stay in a state inn. You can google the BlueRidge Parkway and it will show you the maps and places to stay. We do this several times a year and it never gets old. On the south end is The Mt Pisgah Inn run by the national park service and the restaurant is great. Do not miss going up to Mt Mitchell the highest peak east of the Missippi River and they also have a restaurant at the top.On the northern end The Peaks Of Otter another inn with restaurant and the wild life you will see there is awesome. If possiable stay there on a friday, they are famous for their seafood buffet and all the locals come there on friday night. You can not go wrong with all the places you can see traveling on the parkway During the winter use the internet and request information and I promise you will have a great trip.

You could take the Natchez Trace up to Memphis. At the north end there is the Loveless Cafe. When you get off the trace turn right to the first road then turn left. Pull in at the blue sign. The BLT is made with a fried green tomatoe.

In the area of the Dragon there is all kinds of stuff to do. I was down there 2 years ago and just pulled out a map and looked for sceic roads and drove them. Almost all were beautiful and twisty and worth the ride.

Man if you're going to be in Knoxville you got to head over to gatlinburg and ride through the Smokey mountain national forest. Now, I don't know if that is where this Dragons tail is anyway, but if it isn't, the twisties and scenery in the national forest is awesome.

Hey, thanks guys. It sounds like I cant turn onto a bad road out there. Planning on spending the week just riding around with no destination yet, so we can go north/south/east or west. You've given me some good ideas to research between now and June

You can go online to madmaps and buy one for that area they list just about every scenic or out of the ordinary spot. Oh and if your riding the Dragon don't leave anything behind on the tree of shame. If you plan on staying at Deal's Gap book it soon June to August they are always full

Ha, I hear ya loud and clear. I've done my research on the Dragon, and have alot of friends thats done it. No worries there. I think we're planning to hit it once and scoot somewhere else to stay and see more sights around the region

Back