free website stats program sporty tires | Harley Davidson Forums

sporty tires

Painter61

I have an 06 sporty custom on average I get 12000 miles on front dunlops and about 20000 on rear, about a two front to one back ratio tire. there are only two companies of tires dunlop and michaline tires that have my size that I know of and they both get about the same milage per tire. especialy the front one it's a 21 inch tire. Is there any other brands that carries the size for an 06 custom sporster that might get better milage on use?

Your mileage on the tires isn't going to be any better with any brand . That's good mileage on a set of tires.

extremely good on the back. my front was about the same, right around 12k, but my back wore down around 12-13k...so, for what ur getting, its pretty good.

Painter61, getting 12,000 miles is decent mileage for your Dunlop stockers, different brands will vary mileage only a couple 1,000 miles as you have pretty much averaged your expected mileage from this first set. If you change brands, you should change both tires as a matched set for product liability and known performance points. JMHO

Years ago when Radial bike tires came out I changed my Honda Nighthawk over to them and it handled like never before.

I haven't looked into changing the Sportster to Radials, but that may be a thought. I don't know if they will last any longer though...
You might get more wear out of Radials and a smoother ride as you will never be able to push the bike into corners or ever come close to breaking radials loose in the corners like bias plys on a sportster. The chrome will drag on both sides of the bike before you will outcorner radials...They will offer better traction on acceleration too.

I need to research this further...

Last edited by a moderator:
Standard Harley wheels and rims use too high profile tires for radial designs. Only the V-Rod tires and wheels can be had with radial. Kind of bummed as I had radials on my Katana and it ran circles around bias ply tires...literally!

Last edited:
Hobbit; Your tire mileage don't count!:D I agree that his mileage is more than acceptable. I've never had a rear last longer than a front. My Dyna with Elite 3's is almost reversed of his front/back.

I thought Hobbit would get excellent mileage. He only uses them for take off and landings....:D

Back