free website stats program sporty that wont run | Harley Davidson Forums

sporty that wont run

I have a 05 1200C. The battery was dead after storage. Jumped the battery correctly but blew the fuse for ignition/speedo? Installed new battery & replaced the fuse. Bike still wont start. Lights come on, starter works but no speedo lights. Checked all the fuses in the fuse box. Was told I probally blew the ignition module- replaced it still in the same spot. Any idea where to go next? Is there some other fuses I'm missing to check?

If all fuses are good, and you have gas in it. When you jumped it you probably blew the bikes ignition. Happens. Did you have the car/truck running when you jumped it? If you did.. Not good.

Does it turn over? Did you check your plugs? Time to get the multi-meter out, and checking for resistance. Make sure every thing is in spec.

Jumped it from a jump box. Already replacedign module. Where should I look next?

Turns over strong but nothing in the speedo lights up. Not getting anything at plugs

Last edited by a moderator:
Been doing some wiring checks today. All wiring seems good. is there any kind of fusible link & any other fuses other than the ones under the side cover to check. Still have nothing on the ignition circuit & all speedo light dead. Is there any thing that could have went out when the ign module did. Checked the security module- seems to work alright, arms, disarms all other lights on bike work.

Was it the ICM you replaced, I think in 05 XL's used a ignition control module (ICM), if you replaced that did you perform password learning? I think it needs to be mated even with just a TSM or do you have security?

Chopper has you covered...the ICM has to be downloaded with programming via Harley DataTech tool...THEN married to the bike TSM/TSSM. The ICM is comes with EPROM programming BLANK...nada-nothing.

You can perform password learning yourself without a digital tech, it just takes longer, here's how. Although your problem might not of been the ICM to begin with???
05XLpasswordlearning.jpg

Here is a hint on this process, use a battery tender and watch those little lights closely. :s You cannot read a book, talk on the phone, or do anything else for that matter. As soon as that light comes on, be ready for your next move.

That part took me several tries before finally figured that my adult ADD was hindering my progress. :s If you pay attention, the marrying process works. :D

The problem is none of those lights (engine,security) light up to go through the password learning process to the security module. even if it is missing the eprom shouldn't those lights still come on? I bought a nos screaming eagle ignition module.

could it be i'm going in the wrong direction with this??? Any other possible problems that would also cause this??

Last edited by a moderator:
Like I said earlier, the HD Dealer has to "INITIALIZE" the ICM before you can perform the TSM/TSSM marrying procedure. Been there...one of the things I HATE is getting non-returnable/non-replaceable electronics KNOWING that they will not plug and play. In the real CONSUMER world of electronics, it is the PRIMARY reason customers are not happy with ANY electronics manufacturer that offers equipment that is not plug and play. MOCO made a BIG mistake with this design...may intentional, but clearly in the wrong direction. My worry is the new 2011 with the "network" linked system...the WHOLE marrying process would be in the hardware and ONLY available at the dealer.

Back