free website stats program Sporty overhaul | Harley Davidson Forums

Sporty overhaul

Well, I guess I got tired of not being 100% happy with the set up of my bike and I have decided to change the engine dynamic. I have been in touch with HD and another person that was highly recommended through a friend. Here is what HD is suggesting:

Here a couple of quotes for what you are looking for…… this first one, I would just want to double check some fitment as the book is a little grey.

16677-05 xl cylinder heads kit, bl

18424-06 xl perfect fit pushrod kit

22711-04a piston kit, xl 1200 high output

25740-05 se pro xl high output cam

31746-98a se single-fire coil kit

32654-98 se selectable curve racing

This setup will give you an 11.3:1 compression ratio. The ignition and the coil are obsolete from H-D, but there are about 15 dealers in the U.S. that list as having them in stock. No promises though…. .

However doesn’t mean we can’t get a selectable ignition and coil.

Buell heads

16797-98y cyl head, high flow frt

16827-98yb cylinder head, rear, black

22676-98y Qty (2) piston & ring kit – std

25740-05 se pro xl high output cam

31746-98a se single-fire coil kit

32654-98 se selectable curve racing

Any Comments??

yeah go see Dan at NRHS and get it done with a 1250 kit :D probably cheaper as well
NRHS - High Performance for your Harley Twin Cam, Evolution, Sportster or Buell! (303)702-1600

the decked SE heads are not as good as the heads fitted to 2004 up 1200R models

Thanks Hobbit, but I already have this site. I am not sure that I want to go to a 1250. My cylinders are good yet so I really do not have a need for new cylinders. Either I am going to get new heads, or I am going to punch the valves out of the stock ones that I have. I know what you are thinking or what you might say, but i am concerned with the appearance of my ride just as much as I am about performance. So far all I have been able to find are heads that are black. I am not liking this at all.

No problem JohnnyB...with a fine looking ride like that I'm sure many observers understand your concern regarding black finish...a "new" phenom that MOCO is embracing as the new marketing strategy for the NEW RIDERS they hope to attract.

yeah go see Dan at NRHS and get it done with a 1250 kit :D probably cheaper as well
NRHS - High Performance for your Harley Twin Cam, Evolution, Sportster or Buell! (303)702-1600

the decked SE heads are not as good as the heads fitted to 2004 up 1200R models

I have thought about doing the 88 CI conversion, but after a little bit more research I have found that they are having a little bit of issues with those cylinders. it is very tempting though to do at one point. How much of the case do you think that I would need to bore???

No problem JohnnyB...with a fine looking ride like that I'm sure many observers understand your concern regarding black finish...a "new" phenom that MOCO is embracing as the new marketing strategy for the NEW RIDERS they hope to attract.

I do not mind the look of the black on some things. Only if everything else matches. With the set up that I listed i found that the cam that HD was suggesting is just Way too Agressive for the type of riding that I want to do.

Today I was researching what the cc of the 883 heads are for my ride, I found out that they are a 49 cc. Now combine that with a 0.006 mill on the plain, 10.0:1 Cr piston, in actuality, I am at like almost 11.0:1 on my overall Cr. No wonder why my bike is not running the way it should. Any suggestions????

Last edited by a moderator:
easy answer add thicker gaskets yes i know only a stop gap, with and 11 compression i am surprised that the starter has not failed
is the piston domed? if so fit a flat top to lower the compression a litte, as for the 90" there is a load of machining work on the cases inside the cam chest and cam lobes to get them to clear not only each other but the chest as well

I have thought about just changing the gasket, but I want a cam that will perform better too. I did not do any type of valve work to the heads because I thought and nobody else said differently so I left them. As far as the conversion, I agree, that is just way too much machining for my taste. Thank You for the suggestion. :cheers Yes, there is a reverse dome in it.

go with Buell Heads, pistons, Cyclinders and a factory race cams that we got from East Troy,Wi. we put a set on a Sporty and it made 95 hp first dyno and after we tuned the carb and tried a few differnt pipes and adjustable collector 110..... they can make HP We did do spiecal coatings on the pistons, valves, heads, and exhaust !

Back