free website stats program Sportster replacement shocks to stop bottoming out - help! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Sportster replacement shocks to stop bottoming out - help!

You can change for:
1 - progressive
2 - EMC good also
3 - Olhins -very good but expansive too
4 - Fournales (Pneumatics shocck absorber) very good, but you need a specific pump to inflate them....8BAR or 160PSI

I've just fitted a pair of Hagons this afternoon and it's like having a new ride. No more bottoming or tramlining! Custom built, less than 24hrs delivery and all in for £150. I think they're a real bargain.

Frank :ENGLAND

The stock shocks just !!!!.
Even on position 4 solo mine bottom out, on position 5 two up they bottom constantly over small bumps, and also seem to have little damping.

My progressive's are supposed to arrive today, 1/2 inch longer, and I sure hope they fix the really poor ride.

This weekend is supposed to be very nice weather, and the wife and I plan on some good rides, unfortunetly, I dont think my sundowner seat is going to arrive in time.

I will post the results of the new shocks, and the fork springs (when they arrive) here.

Brett

Got the shocks today, very nice, big and beefy, they transform the ride, very plush without any bottoming out.
I took off the stock 11.6 inch junk and put on 12 inch progressive 412 heavy duty shocks, more ground clearance, MUCH nicer ride, plus they look really good.

Don't even think about it, get the progressives, don't suffer with the stock shocks. $215.00 a pair on line.

I also changed whatever oil was in the forks, I have heard its 5 weight, and put in 15 weight fork oil, and that stopped the bottoming out of them.

I ordered the progressive fork springs, glad I did if they improve things anything like the rear shocks did.

Best money I ever spent on a bike!

Brett

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife is 4'11". She can just barely reach the ground using OEM HD shocks. If I get her some Progressives, how much will that raise her seat. Even 1/2" and she won't touch the ground.

2nd what Jayson said, have Progressive rear shocks AND lowered to 10.5. But in your case, keep the stock length, if you are happy with the stock ride/burdened height. I believe on the 1200C it is 12.5") but talk to tech support at Progressive to select the right spring & shock...after figuring out what is the total 2 up weight with gear (be nice to your gal if she is "sensitive" about this), so estimate if necessary rather than put your feet in the fire.

What gal is NOT sensitive about this. Hope you can avoid the flying frying pan as you ask.:D

My wife is 4'11". She can just barely reach the ground using OEM HD shocks. If I get her some Progressives, how much will that raise her seat. Even 1/2" and she won't touch the ground.

What is she riding and what height are the shocks?
If the bike is too high for her you could lower it by fitting shorter shocks. get on the Progressive web site and you can see the different alternative shocks you can get. Call them and they'll talk you through it - I found them very helpful.

Whoa did I walk into the right room...

Having same bottom out issue on 2001 Sportser 1200XLC.

Appreciate all the tips.

Sounds like stock shocks are 11.6". Seems logical they get measured properly off the bike.

I see some are talking about replacing with 12" Progressives, others with 13"...still researching.

Welcome to the Forum... Just to let you know, this thread is 12 years old. You may want to start a new topic just to keep folks from reading through this just for your new post.

Back