Sportster Questions

Discussion in 'Sportster Models' started by zoood, Sep 29, 2011.

1. zoood

zoood Junior Member Product Contributor

Ive made Heat Deflectors for a 1200cc 2007 Sportster.
    This one is fuel injected. Im trying to verify if the pattern Ive made will fit from 2004 to present.

Are all sportsters from 2004 to present fuel injected?

Are the fuel tanks on 2004 to present the same size?

On some of the 2004 photos I looked at. The owners had chrome side covers. Are these chrome covers replacements for the OEM covers? Or are they just chrome covers to be placed over the existing OEM covers?

Thanks in advance, RJ

2. jeepin

jeepin Member

No

No

Replacements

3. zoood

Is it just the 48 that has the shorter gas tank?

RJ

4. jeepin

jeepin Member

Honestly I'm not sure. I've got an '05 1200c and I have the longer/lower 3(something) gallon tank. But it is carbed.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

5. zoood

Where is the fuel petcock located at? In relation to the end of the tank by the seat? Is it in the center of the tank?, just as it is with the fuel injected type?

So far what I made for the sportster seems to fit the ones with the 4.5 gallon and the next size down, guessing,... I'd say a 3.5 gallon tank. I think there's 3 sportster size gas tanks. Can anyone tell me the capacities?

RJ

6. jeepin

jeepin Member

You gotta be careful with those specs when designing a part though. The fuel capacity STATES 4.5 but the tank is 3.5 and the lines hold 1 gal. So when my gas light comes on and I switch the selector to RES I use the remaining 1 gal in the lines.

7. jeepin

jeepin Member

I'm just saying. My fuel capacity my be 4.5 but I ran the tank dry not switching to RES and fit 3.48 gal in

8. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

Hello Zoood, good hearing from you. Answers to your questions are in blue :D

9. zoood

Thank you. Ill have to review and digest all that you've written. You had asked - How are you fastening the heat deflectors?

I made them extremely easy to install as shown in the following pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RJ/Zoood