free website stats program Sportster Problem removing primary chain cover, XLH, 883, '89 | Harley Davidson Forums

Sportster Problem removing primary chain cover, XLH, 883, '89

Rickhouben

Hi Guys,

after years of driving old japanes bikes, I bought myself a nice hardtail sportster. However I do not manage to disassembly the primary chain cover. The cover seems to stuck. I removed all bolts, steps, chain tensioner. Only the clutch cable is still in place. Please advice.

Thanks guys.

Gaaaas:34:

you will need to remove the clutch cable as well from the clutch hub, the the primary outer should just come off but what you are possibly suffering is the old gasket holding everything together a light blow with a rubber mallet may loosen it off

I had a problem once in sturgis (saw)... Finding a person taking it apart along side of a scenic road in the Black Hills, Beating chain-case with a big limb... He forgot the middle bottom-upper bolt in the chain case if that is what you are talking about? I pointed it out and apart it came..

just thought I would add that.

signed....BUBBIE

If its been together a long time or if a gasket sealent has been used then it can be a wee bit of trouble to get the chain case to part company with the engine but tapping round the edge of the chain case with a rubber mallet should give it some movement

Brian

Spray some permatex gasket remover around the cover and let it soak in and repeat it should slide off, you will have to replace the gasket any way

Make sure all the bolts are off, with so many fasteners to remove it is really easy to miss one. I also do not remove the clutch cable...as I have a soft clean towel to wipe all areas of dust about the opening, and just swing it out of the way (I even leave the derby cover on, just to simplify my life...and use a soft plastic or rubber mallet to gently "jar" the cover loose...you may also have guide pins so you do not want to "pound" on it...less serious damage occurs. I also install that cover with only a bit of grease to "stick" it in place...but if you must use sealer, use it on the cover side only...makes it stay with the cover, so you can easlily line up and clean up more easily.

Hi Mate,

thanks for the advice. However, can I remove the clutch cable easy from the clutch hub even if I do not have a large clutch inspection cover? I only have a real small adjusting cover from about 2 inches. I seems that the cover is loose but some tension keeps it from coming of. I tapped round the edge of the chain case with a rubber mallet without getting any movement. I will give it another try in the weekend.

Thanks for any extra advice.

Gaaaas

You will need to get the primary cover off to disconnect the clutch cable you just cant do it through the small hole on that one its only for clutch adjustment
have you backed off the primary chain tensioner on my 93 sportster once you have loosend the locknut put a allen key in the centre of the adjuster to back it off its hard to see cos its underneath

Brian

Furter thoughts cos its been a while since i had mine off but it can bind a wee bit on the gear change shaft and it just needs a bit of cleaning and working till it comes out

Brian

did the old favorite of opening the book to see what else it says best i have is for 91 to 93 i think the 89 is similar as the big change was in 94
the bit that has been missed from your procedure
back off the primary chain adjuster
remove the clutch inspection cover
remove the spring and lock plate
turn the clutch adjusting screw clockwise till it can be removed
then remove the nut

There is always a good reason for having the correct service manual

Brian

I had a problem once in sturgis (saw)... Finding a person taking it apart along side of a scenic road in the Black Hills, Beating chain-case with a big limb... He forgot the middle bottom-upper bolt in the chain case if that is what you are talking about? I pointed it out and apart it came..

just thought I would add that.

signed....BUBBIE

Just wanted you to see this again.. The hidden bolt was under ths shift area and recessed so it could be this...

sorry to push. but if it is a fastener you'll be glad.

Back