free website stats program Sportster Luggage Rack and Sissy Bar | Harley Davidson Forums

Sportster Luggage Rack and Sissy Bar

cedarbrook63

I've just seen a combination sissy bar, backrest pad and luggage rack for 04 and later XL - a sinlge piece unit which I may buy.
Am I correct that the rear indicator lights have to be relocated in order to fit this? Does the licence plate have to move as well?

Thanks for any advice folks.

Never having fiddled with a rubber mounted sportster i dont know the answer to the moving the indicators but you had to take them off and reinstall on the pre 94 sportsters but on 94 to 03 the side plates had cutouts to fit round the indicator mounts would like to think that was carried forward
but the racks are usually designed to work with us plates the uk ones are much bigger so they dont fit
however if you had a bob tail rear fender then the plate hangs down under the tail light rather than on top

Brian

Thanks Brian. The more I look at it, the more I remember - "Buy in haste and repent at your leisure".

I just put on a nice little laid back mount for a small plate a few months back which I don't want to change from. I think I'll go and talk to the boys at the dealership. I want to get a sissy bar for my better half to try 2up and I'm also looking at getting a luggage rack for handiness. You have saddlebags on your Sporty - is that not so? How d'you find them? They always strike me as being a bit small to be a whole lot of use but of course I'm not speaking from experience with them so I may be wrong.

I have saddle bags on all my bikes i did a lot of searching to get the right ones the ones on the sporty i think look good and have 27 litre a side so thats a bit bigger than a big jerry can can esily get a full face helmet in them so a fair bit of space
however they are cheep and nasty and went out of shape against the bagrails tucking under the rails so i lined the back side of them with with some plastic sheeting to hold the shape
because the bags are so big i had to move the indicators onto the rear mudguard they mount on to the licence plate holder mount points i had to drill a hole in the mudguard to get the wires through and make some new cables for the indicators but nothing difficult just a bit fiddly
perhaps i make everything a challenge but the more of a challenge it is the geater the sence of elation when its done

Brian

Hobbit has you covered, as I do not have the rack which uses the additional mounting holes in the side plates that are fitted to the grab rails...but I did not want to lead you astray as I installed the sissy bar only. Did not need to relocate the signals, however, I did have to when I installed the the larger bags yoke under the seat, with the metal hoops used to not foul the throwover leather bags. I chose to move the rear signals back a bit (changed them to small bullet ones at the same time, 'cause I did not like the big ugly ones that come stock.

Nice one guys.
As it turned out the Rack and Back went on ebay for a pile of cash while I was in work and couldn't bid :(. Think I'll just buy from the dealer after Christmas.

Hobbit is right. I did the sissy bar from HD and put throw over bags on it. No relocation necessary.

How big were the bags? I was looking to do the same and they seemed small in the picture in the book. Do by chance know the size model num, or?

I bought my bags at wally world (paul jr.) I think I paid around $50. for them. They fit very well and hold a lot.
I just bought a one piece side rails and sissy bar for 35. and a two up seat for 40. I know I'll have some fitmit issues , but I have all winter to deal with it. (n.w. mt.):)

Back