free website stats program Sportster, changed belt, now clutch won't engage | Harley Davidson Forums

Sportster, changed belt, now clutch won't engage

modemjoe

My drive belt broke, and bike sat for about 6 months. Finally put a new drive belt on and when I engage the clutch, the rear wheel won't turn as it should. If I put it in neutral, it turns fine. The clutch has tension and I can feel it move through the primary oil access, but the bike won't roll. Any thoughts?

Can a broken drive belt muck up a clutch, or could the clutch/tranny have siezed causing the drive belt to break? I didn't notice anything but a loss of drive when the belt broke, as you'd expect. No weird noises that I can recall. I've taken the rear wheel off before, don't know why anything would be different this time. I guess my question is, what (EDIT)happened to my hog, and what do I do now? I keep thinking it's something absolutely stupid, like a wrench in the drive belt, but that ain't it. I'm also afraid of dealers, and people who say 'rebuild'. The bike is a 2005 Sportster 1200C with about 20K miles on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you trying to turn the wheel without starting the engine while it's in gear? The clutch plates are probably stuck together sitting that long, if you start the bike and try putting it in gear what happens?

Back