free website stats program Sportster 48 engine tick | Harley Davidson Forums

Sportster 48 engine tick

stevec314

Well my son had this R6 and it scarred me to death because of all that was wrong with it. So, I bought a 2011 48 with about 15K miles on it and traded him so he is a first time HD owner and I am the proud owner of a R6 and of course and my 07 FLHTCU. Anyway, he put about 800 miles on it and noticed that the oil light would come on and go off one day. It was a 1/2 qt low so he added oil and a couple of rides later one early morning he took off on it and it started ticking and the oil light is on although there is plenty of oil in it. ( He actually put too much oil n it ) The tick sounds like it is coming from the lower left side. Any thoughts?

Re: Sportster 48 enguine tick

Well my son had this R6 and it scarred me to death because of all that was wrong with it. So, I bought a 2011 48 with about 15K miles on it and traded him so he is a first time HD owner and I am the proud owner of a R6 and of course and my 07 FLHTCU. Anyway, he put about 800 miles on it and noticed that the oil light would come on and go off one day. It was a 1/2 qt low so he added oil and a couple of rides later one early morning he took off on it and it started ticking and the oil light is on although there is plenty of oil in it. ( He actually put too much oil n it ) The tick sounds like it is coming from the lower left side. Any thoughts?

Ticking is normal from engines... it's just a matter of how much ticking. You've got a lot of things that can tick, injectors and valves being top.

As far as the oil light, it could be the pressure switch that is faulty.

My 883R ticks... but it's done that since day #1, and it is normal. Sounds like a singer sewing machine if you know what I mean. My '07 FLHTCU makes ticking noises too, though not as apparent from sitting on it, but if you're beside it, you can hear it.

What you don't want to hear is clanking, knocks, or grinding noises. Also, note the smell and appearance of the exhaust on cold starts and even warm starts.

Check your plugs for coloration. A grayish tan to while color indicates the correct heat range spark plug is in use, the fuel and ignition systems are in good shape and overall engine mechanical condition is good.

Yea I will check the plugs. It is more of a clanking than ticking and it went from nothing at all to the clanking noise. A buddy of mine suggested a crank bearing but I know on Evo's although possible is pretty rare. Another suggested a lifter. I guess I will have to have it torn down but he is not gonna run it till we get this fixed. it runs fine starts fine it just has that clanging down low that concerns me.

Even though it might be rare, it still can happen.

Have you checked to make sure everything was tightened down? Check the engine mounts and exhaust?

I am gonna tackle it this weekend. I have never broke open a motor before eventhough someday I would LOVE to rebuild a vtwin motor just for the experience. I feel bad for my son he has had a bad run lately with bikes. I have read a few things about lifters going out that are also related to the low oil light coming on at idle.

Before you tear anything apart I suggest you connect a mechanical pressure gauge and verify what the actual oil pressure is.

HD11XL016.gif

#6 is your oil pressure switch, screw in your master gauge here

First off do you have a shop manual for it? If not I would get one from HD. Being it is a 2011 a Clymer, aftermarket, manual may not be out as yet. They usually run about $65 at HD.
Next what type of oil are you running in the motor? I don't see a location for you and excessive daily heat cold be one problem. I live in So. Texas and it's around a 100 or + for over a month. I run straight 60W. because of that. Maybe the oil is thinning to much with the heat. That with to low of an idle could cause the light to come on. If it's carb. you can adj. the idle to 900-1K rpm.Fuel infected you cant without a tuner.
You say the noise,ticking, is from the left side. I would open the inspection hole cover and check you Primary chain tension. On older models it should be 5/8-3/4 movement,up & down, cold. Oil in primary is different than the motor oil.
tourbox

You say the

When my sportster started clanking, I checked the primary chain tensioner, as they are not automatic on sportsters. give it a look see, might be clanking against the primary case. You said lower left side so I'm assuming primary side...

Back