free website stats program spits, backfires and wont idle after fuel filter, fuel pump and quick connect change | Harley Davidson Forums

spits, backfires and wont idle after fuel filter, fuel pump and quick connect change

maddem

Bike had been sitting for years. I put a battery in and attempted to start it but bad gas. I drained it put some new gas in ran ok but started leaking at quick connect. I took it apart changed air filter, connector, fuel pump, fuel filters, hoses and tank seal. Now It starts but spits, backfire and wont idle. The former owner told me it had a stage 1 kit put in when he bought it new. any advice is needed

It is a 06 electra glide EFI. I took it apart and noticed the regulator housing was not seated right and put it right. now it will start after the pump is primed and it will idle fine for a few minutes, then after I raise the rpm or runs at idle a while it starts spiting and shuts down. It runs fine for a few after the fuel pump primes before starting but then.........

Model and year? Carbed or EFI?
06 EFI Electra glide

is like after it uses the gas from the prime it not getting enough gas

Last edited by a moderator:
Test the pump relay might not be energizing the pump after signal from starter button is released.

Also try doing a fuel pressure test, this is going to be a process of elimination. Have you checked for any codes?
How many miles and have there been any mods done to it that you know of?

Agree with all of the above. After sitting for years, there are many sources for the bad behavior; could be more than one source as well. One of the first things I would do would be to check for intake leaks; seals could have dried up over time and failing to seal. Could be challenging since the motor doesn't run long after starting but spraying any brand of quick start spray will tell the tale. Second thing I would do woud be to pull the IAC; clean it and the pintle to make sure it is operating properly; it could be gummed up.

Those are two sources that could be contributing to the problem that are easy to elminate.;)

Bike had been sitting for years. I put a battery in and attempted to start it but bad gas. I drained it put some new gas in ran ok but started leaking at quick connect. I took it apart changed air filter, connector, fuel pump, fuel filters, hoses and tank seal. Now It starts but spits, backfire and wont idle. The former owner told me it had a stage 1 kit put in when he bought it new. any advice is needed

It was the little O ring between the regulator stem and the housing had broke when I first reassembled it. Thanks for the help and advice. All is well that ends well.

O ring on the stem from the regulator to the housing was broken

Last edited by a moderator:
Back