spinning and confused?

Discussion in 'Dyna Models' started by fatbob85, Mar 12, 2012.

1. fatbob85

fatbob85 Member

First of all let me start by saying COOL this is a get site allot info and good reponses I love to wrench!! and My 85 FatBoB started to give me some problems, when I tried to start it cranks over once twice and then spins off and you can hear the gear hit and spin. I do this a few time and sometimes it crancks over, sometime i drain the battery after 8-13 times.

Battery I think is hold but 8-13 times ???and it hold a charge 12.9v ,

I changed out the solenoid and

I pulled the starter to check the brushes and everything looks good. does any body have any more suggestions ? pushing a 600lb beast by yourself is a ..... pain! :bigsmiley30: spinning and confused

2. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

From what you described here, I suspect the starter clutch drive OR hanging up on the shaft when it goes to make contact with the clutch ring gear.(check to see IF all the teeth are there and good condition)

Careful on the J shaft when checking proper movement..... Disconnect the Battery ,,,, You can ASK 3 finger Jack Why.:guitar

signed....BUBBIE

3. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

4. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

5. fatbob85

fatbob85 Member

My friends Thanks for the suggestions! I guess it is in how you word it... my old service manual says 'Starter Shaft" and what I'm looking for is the Pinion gear and shaft assembly or is it only the pinion gear?

fatbob85

6. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member