Speedo not working

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by Gezzer Glide, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Gezzer Glide

Gezzer Glide Active Member Contributor

My speedometer has not worked right for almost 2 years. I replaced the speed sensor and still it won't work right. A friend of mine said he had the same issue. He also replaced the speed sensor and still not working. It wasn't until the had the stator and voltage regulator replaced that the speedometer started working. Could the stator or voltage regulator have anything to do with the speedometer. If so which one stator or voltage regulator?:small3d015:

2. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

I see none at all. Why your friends started working remains a mystery to me.

3. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Do a quick check with a voltmeter on the battery with the bike running to rule out the regulator if it is working you should read above battery voltage around 13 volts should rule it out IMO, check the self help section for stator checks, Hoople is the man you need:s

4. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

No. But in replacing the VR, he had to loosen and reinstall the wires from the new VR. While doing that, he might have checked the tightness of the other ground wires under the seat. That may have reconnected a bad ground that was affecting the speedo. So ...

TQ

5. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

What's it doin or not doin exactly? Is it just inacurate?

Bodeen

6. Gezzer Glide

It sticks, works for awhile then drops to 0, odometer goes out, light goes out.

7. Bodeen

Hmmm, I'm with TQ here. Sounds like a bad ground. Do you have the repair manual for the bike? If so look at the wiring diagram and see if you can trace out the ground for the speedo. Also check the integrity of the wires under the speedo and surrounding area.
    Let us know what you find.

Bodeen

8. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

I would troubleshoot the light issue 1st. That means you are probably loosing power to the unit. Check the B+ supply line going to the speedo when the light is out. You may get lucky with a simple fix. Fix the light issue and you will probably be home free.
    Ground/power since light is going out.

9. Gezzer Glide

Thanks for the advise. I will keep you informed......

Once again this forum solved my problem. The plug at the back of the speedometer had come out. Pluged it back in and everything is working.:bigsmiley22: Thanks again for all your direction.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2010
  10. Bodeen

Gezzer,

Nice work on staying with it and seeing it through. Great job.

Bodeen