free website stats program speedo dial flaking | Harley Davidson Forums

speedo dial flaking

colnajoe

I searched before posting and found nothing. The surface of the plastic cover over my speedo on my RK is starting to flake off, it's been that way since I bought it used. There must be some sort of coating on the lense or something. I dont know if something bad was used on it to cause it to flake. If I polish it more, it will flake more I'm guessing.

Anyone know of anything to stop it, fix it, or do I just deal with it? not gonna replace it just because of this, just wondering if it's a common problem....

Is it possible it is a protective plastic film thats covering speedo, that was just never removed????
And its just deteriorating with age.

No, I checked for that too. Mines an '02, that would be some good stuff, huh? I've read all the threads about fogging and water spots on the inside, but this is on the outside. The more I polish, the more it peels away, and it looks terrible.
WAP.gif

About 2 years ago something flaked off all the guages on my RG. Don't know if they have some sort of protective or antiglare coating from the factory. I'm not sure if I was using anything other than Meguires on them at the time.

That's exactly what I think it is, anti-glare or something. What did you do about it? Can it be polished or buffed out? Or maybe respray it with something. Gotta be some detail guys out there that know how to repair this.

The coating on my Dyna's windshield started flaking (17 yrs. old). I got a foam buff pad for my drill and plastic polish at the auto supply place and got to work. It took a few hours (big windshield), but it came out nice and clear. I don't know if your speedo cover is the same, but worth a try.

Last edited:
I would try a white polish bar and a rough cotton rag by hand.

The white bar is the one normally used for aluminum.

Any old wash rag will work.

Rub the rag a few times on the bar and then on the lens area. I use this sometimes to remove scratches on aluminum etc.

OK, so following what R_W_B said to try....I remembered that I had some jewelers rouge that I used to throat and polish a barrel in my 1911 pistol, that I used with a dremmel. Grabbed and old washtowel, dampened it with water, then started to polish. At first it looked a little worse and thought "a new speedo ain't that expensive". Well after a few minutes, it was perfect! Followed it up with some plastic polish I used for my jeep windows from Meguires, and it turned out great. Only problem now it that I can see some dried water spots on the inside of the cover....oh well, well worth the trade off! Hope the before and after pic's workout.....

Attachments

• imagewlu.jpg
    imagewlu.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 15
  • imagegthp.jpg
    imagegthp.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 15
That's a huge improvement! Are you sure you didn't slip a new speedo in there while you were sleep walking last night? :p

That's a huge improvement! Are you sure you didn't slip a new speedo in there while you were sleep walking last night? :p

Nope, I did it in about 30 minutes today...I asked the question last night, wore up to a cople suggestions. Ran out to the garage, polished it up, took pic's and posted......On to next issue!

This site and forum is amazing! The knowledge out there just for the asking is a wonderful thing.

Back