free website stats program Sparkplug question | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Sparkplug question

Very interesting. I have taken several 6R12 plugs apart in the past and it has the spring loaded resistor just like you said. I thought about the corrosion issue but it was so strange that all 4 NEW plugs behaved alike (34K cold- 3K hot), I though it was maybe by design due to the use of an Ion Sensing coil pack. My e-mails to Delphi where not answered to my satisfaction or were not answered at all. Thank you for the insight. It's good to know that using the factory 6R12 is not absolutely necessary.

And Welcome to the Forum! I see you have a 30 year old Sporty!

Last summer I was running the Autolite plugs. After 3 or 4 thousand miles I was on a trip and the bike started backfiring through the exhaust. I thought bad fuel but the two other bikes with me were running fine. I tried some octane booster and the bike ran some what better but still not right. We nursed it home and next morning I removed the Autolites and put my old Harley plugs back in and the bike ran fine until I changed to new Harley plugs and still is running fine. My bike is a carbed 2000 Flht. I realized that there must be raw fuel in the muffler and that the plug would short out and then it would fire and burn the fuel in the muffler and cause the backfire. Does a carbed engine have ionizing problems or was my problem something eles like a bad plug
kemo

dear friends as an engineer i can say the bet spark plugs you may use are iridium spark plugs even after installation you feel the difference they are really perfect spark plugs denso and ngk has them but choosing the right plug is very important you may check densos or ngks websites for correct iridium spark plug if you cannot find just write me the exact model and year i will find it for you in seconds
just read this for advantages of iridium spark plugs http://www.globaldenso.com/en/products/aftermarket/plug/power/features.html

or check this catalog of spark plugs denso http://www.denso-europe.com/uploads/Spark%20Plugs/43-114_Motorcycle.pdf

Tahir, I know I am going to get a lot of "heat" for saying this but I am using the NGK- DCPR7EIX (6046) in place of the factory HD 6R12 (Champion RA8YC) and so far I really like them.

It started as only an experiment just to see what would happen with the Ion sensor and I never took them out or went back.. (so far :p)..

Tahir, I know I am going to get a lot of "heat" for saying this but I am using the NGK- DCPR7EIX (6046) in place of the factory HD 6R12 (Champion RA8YC) and so far I really like them.

It started as only an experiment just to see what would happen with the Ion sensor and I never took them out or went back.. (so far :p)..

dear Hoople you are correct and the spark plug u choose is correct too , any normal spark plug may be as perfect as an iridium one bcs they have very thin electrodes and the spark comes very stable no way to go from one point to other you feel it at first start engine starts more easier ,fuel echonomy, performnance and a very very long spark plug life these are technical information you wont get heat bcs of advicing the a correct and good thing

Absolutely necessary, little in this world is but just because you can do some thing does not make it a good idea.
The best plug you can get for you HD is the standard stock HD plug

dear smitty901 spark plug is an after market part and also harley davidson dont have a spark plug factory as hoople says he has a HD 6R12 (Champion RA8YC)
the matter is choosing the right plug and the hoople choose the ngk NGK- DCPR7EIX it is the same spark plug same resistance etc .. same ... but it is aperfect spark plug believe me if you choose the correct iridium plug you will like it and it will go for 40.000-50.000 miles without any problems
note: i 'm an enginner who repair turbine engines and these informations are not comments these are certain things for engines

Absolutely necessary, little in this world is but just because you can do some thing does not make it a good idea.
The best plug you can get for you HD is the standard stock HD plug

I completely agree with Smitty on the choice of plugs. Replacing the stock plug with the fancy iridium plugs only drains your wallet faster. Crossing them to another brand as long as the heat range and resistance is similar shouldn't cause any problems with the ION sensing but the iridium plugs can set a code when used in these engines, seen it happen many times.

I only will use the HD plugs myself when replacing them.

Once the mixture is lit off, it's all over and the fancy plugs don't light it off any better than the stock plugs.

Also a misconception is when someone replaces the plugs with the iridium and states that it made a big difference when in fact if you put in another set of new HD plugs, you would feel the same difference too.

Spark plugs with a fine point (sharp point) as used for a spark generation point, is what counts. That's why when spark plugs wear, the positive electrode gets rounded off as well as physical gap changes. When worn, plugs require a hotter spark, resulting in a higher kv that causes wire core breakdown and coil overheating too. New spark plugs have a lot of surface area edge in it's circumfrence for the spark to jump from.

As I understand, irridium is made of a much harder material than the standard plug electrode and is a fine needle point material which maintains a pinpoint area that maintains its shape and gap distance for a longer period of time.

I have the Autolites in stock for sale for customers who wish to use them but I wish that they would be made in the same size as the HD and NGK plug.

I removed the factory hd (champion) plugs from my bikes when I took possession of them and installed NGK. It's been NGK ever since, in all of my bikes.

I use the NGK Iridium spark plug in my 08 Softail with no issues. No codes etc.

Have had many bikes over the years and ran NGK Iridium plugs in all of them. They made the most difference in the old point systems as they provided a better spark.

I have so many other spark plugs laying around here...
I could start an out-let on used plugs..(toss them away? never)

I have, in my younger years, used all the Snake Bite , Cure Alls on the market... If it said Better, More, Hotter, it got bought.

Latest one I saw at a trinket shop/Indy repair, Sales pitch was improved mileage per gallon.... Memory? sales pitch, saying 10 to 12 mi. per gal increase Just Using the plug.. A big power increase... ONLY 20$ for the Last set in stock..

Looking at the set, Nothing different but No electrode and fired totally around the internal base, calling it a multi spark and Yada yada ....

No, I didn't buy them.

No room on my shelf that carries the other 50 or so Bought that Don't Improve a thing..

I'll stick with the stock Cheap priced plug 6R12 and the bikes run great..

Bought a new set of plugs to put in My 09 FLHR at ? 10,000 then stretched to 20,000 miles (same new unused set) and Just have Not installed them yet..

Now 22 500 miles so, Maybe soon...
Runs great still the original 6R12's it came with.

I'll do a compression test and install the New Plugs soon and I'll report my findings..

signed....BUBBIE

Back