Spark Plug Question

Discussion in 'Sportster Models' started by a_myrv, Feb 3, 2010.

1. a_myrv

a_myrv Member

If I use NGK Iridium (IUW22 I think) will this plug set a code from detonation or some other malfunction? I am fine using the Champion plug but I thought these NGK's might work better. But then I get into a lot of trouble thinking.

I will appreciate the forum's inpiut on this subject.

Alan

2. kemo

kemo R.I.P

You will not gain any performance from a speciality spark plug unless you have a higher compression ratio engine. No sense in wasting your money. The main advantage of using platnium an iridium plugs is because they will last longer so if you use them in a car that is labour intensive to r/r the plugs these plugs will last longer and cost you less labour. Save your money and use the H/D plugs.
    kemo

3. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

++Agree, stick w/HD & spend your money on other goodies ;)

4. a_myrv

a_myrv Member

Thanks. Solves a question that has been bothering me a while.:bigsmiley11:

5. nhk750

nhk750 Active Member

I agree with above statements, plugs make no difference in the electronic age. They may have in the old days, but not anymore. HD plugs work great and it is very easy to change plugs on a Harley.

6. Drumrguy

Drumrguy Account Removed

Stick with the stock HD plugs, they are reasonably priced, and they work well. Why mess with something that works. The bikes do not like it. :newsmile055:

7. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

Most riders use the stock HD OEM plugs on their bikes. The spark event is so short and the RPM so low, the stock ignition and plug system works just fine without drama unless you have a very built up engine and compression. :)

8. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Cant beat oem unless your building a beast and are racing it

9. indianfrank

indianfrank Member

how often do you change the plugs

10. kemo

kemo R.I.P

once a year for me which would be 15000 to 20000 miles for me.
    kemo