free website stats program Spark Knock | Harley Davidson Forums

Spark Knock

kevinp

I'm getting a spark knock when excelerating unless I really baby it.

I'm already running premium fuel so timing seems to be my first thought.

I am not new to wrenching on bikes.... Just new to Harley. I have a 94 dyna wide glide and the manual. The manual tells how to test the spark advance but doesn't tell where it is. Looking for information on where the timing advance vaccum hose that the manual says to unplug to see if the motor slows down. Any information would be helpful. Thanks for any help. Kevin

Kevin; I think you are looking for the voes (vacuum operated electric switch).
Look for this listing in your manuals index. On my '92, the switch is under the tank, on the left side of the frame. It has a vac. hose connecting to the manifold. It's not unusual for the hose to get a leak with age.

Last edited:
I would think there is a place or window you can view the timing with a strobe light.
Factory manual?

I would think there is a place or window you can view the timing with a strobe light.
Factory manual?

I think the advance is in the nose cone of the cam cover. Or am i have a super senior moment? and a Plug screw-in for a plex-sight to time the bike, hole located on the left where the V cylinders come together.

signed....BUBBIE

I'm getting a spark knock when excelerating unless I really baby it.

I'm already running premium fuel so timing seems to be my first thought.

Thanks for any help. Kevin

If your gas is old or sometimes just a mix-up at the pump or the station sells you Regular for high octane? $$$ made.

Has this bike run okay BEFORE for a while or is this where it is from the start?

signed....BUBBIE

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the advance is in the nose cone of the cam cover. Or am i have a super senior moment? and a Plug screw-in for a plex-sight to time the bike, hole located on the left where the V cylinders come together.

signed....BUBBIE

There ya go! Thanks Bubbie..
The 1st thing I would do is check and see what your base timing is without the VOE's. Then apply vacuum (or remove vacuum- whichever may be the case) and see how much advance the VOE's adds to the base timing. From this point you will know where you stand.

Before LQQKING for a bunch of thing in the Motor...How old is the GAS?
Dont get me wrong ! It could be one of the things mentioned above!
Or a combination of a few of them! Do one thing @ a time so you find out what is really wrong Good Luck with the New Bike! There really not that hard to figure out !

sorry for the delay, work gets in the way again
the gas is new. it is the second tank from diff stations.
I understand how to check the timing with the strobe.
yes it is the vac opperated spark advance switch that I am looking for and as I stated before the manual does not say where it is. don't mean to sound like a complete ya hoo but my wrenching has been on trucks and met bikes and sleds

my wonderfull wife and our friends bought and rode it home to surprise me with it.its my dream bike for as long as I can remember so I didn't really notice it rightaway. it seems to have gotten more noticable now

Last edited by a moderator:
what has changed that would alter the timing??, apart from the voes the timing wont just change on its own. the pinging will be caused by something that can change such as fuel quality etc.if the voes has failed the bike wont idle very well. if its been getting worse slowly it may be carbon build up, does the bike ever stumble on after switching the ignition off?

Back