free website stats program Sound coming from rear of bike - hot brake disc | Harley Davidson Forums

Sound coming from rear of bike - hot brake disc

ouoskie

I have a 2003 Road King and have noticed a sound coming from the rear of the bike after I've been riding for about 25-30 minutes. It sounds like something might be rubbing against the brake disc as the sound slows down as I slow down and then goes away when I get under 5 mph. I touched the brake disc after riding and it was extremely hot. Don't think it should be so that is leading me to believe something is rubbing against it. Any suggestions?

I can only assume you're saying the rotor is hot and you haven't used the brake. If the noise is not the sound of metal on metal I would think there may be a piston hanging up and not retracting completely causing a pad to rub the rotor.

Sounds like a good dis-assembly and cleaning of the pistons is in order. Use a shoe string with some brake fluid and floss the pistons. Brakekleen can be a bit harsh for the seals.

At times depending on your riding conditions dirt can build up around the rear calliper and the pads/piston can get a wee bit sluggish they will apply ok but not release so time to strip and clean all the relevant parts
However if the pads are really stuck then you will notice a performance drop and the further you go the more performance will drop as the brake disc will expand as it gets hotter
For strange noises at the rear of the bike also check out the belt for tension and alignment

Brian

Have you recently had the back wheel off for tire service? If the rear wheel is not aligned and the belt is too tight this will side load the pads in the caliper

May have some rotor runout or variation in thickness of the rotor. Also, check for hot spots (discoloration) or lining transfer to rotor. If you have a way to lift the rear tire off the ground, spin it slowly and feel if one spot is "tighter" than others. If you don't have a caliper or pad problem as stated in previousl posts or you have higher mileage, it may be time to replace the rotor.

Back