free website stats program Softail line help, please: FB vs. Deluxe vs. HSC | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Softail line help, please: FB vs. Deluxe vs. HSC

I want a bike that I can easily strip off the bags, the sissy bar, the passenger seat and the windshield and go riding around the countryside on a bike that looks and feels like a traditional motorcycle--with face and chest and arms and legs in the breeze. And, on the other hand, I can put all that stuff back on if I want to do a longer jaunt or an overnighter.

Really, the only thing I don't like about the HSC are those heavily studded bags. I'd probably see if I could find some bags that are very plain--no studs. I guess I'd have to just try to ignore the studs on the seat and those little tassle things (conchos? is that what they're called?). I know a lot of folks like that look, and that's fine, it's just not for me.

I am with you re: the looks of the heritage (like everything except for the studs). I am likewise in the market for a compliment to my xl883c (which I am going to keep), that will be more friendly on long trips and highway travel. However, I really like the look of the RKC, but the heritage feels more comfortable when I sit on it. I will test ride them both. But I would want to swap out the studded bags and seat. My wife likes the studs, however, so it may be a small price to pay to put up with them, if the wife is supportive of the purchase. The softail deluxe may be another option for me. I am 6'1", 215lbs (35 years old... if that matters).

Oh yeah, I also like the superglide custom and fatbob :eam

Drew

Last edited:
Some specific questions

Thanks for everyone's replies so far. I'm leaning more towards the Fat Boy that the Heritage Softail Classic--only for stud-ocity reasons; that is, too many darn studs in the HSC seat and bags for my taste!!!

If anyone would care to address one or more of these specific questions I would appreciate your insights.

1. How does the fatter rear tire (200 vs. 150) of the Fat Bot vs. the HSC affect handling, stability and ride?

2. I see on the H-D website where windshields for the FB are offered for bikes with or without passing lights. If I plan to get a windshiled now and add passing lights later, is it Ok to go ahead and install the windshield made for bikes with passing lights--even if they won't actually be on the bike?

3. I want any bags or sissy bar I later add to be quick-release. Again, looking at the H-D website it is completely confusing (and expensive) as to what actually has to be purchased to make all that work as desired. Bottom line: Is it possible to do? (I'm guessing the answer is "yes" if you just throw enough money at H-D, right?).

4. Do the solid FB wheels make any difference in a side-wind?

Again, thanks for any thoughts in advance. I've ridden an '09 HSC and loved it. I'm hoping to ride a FB this week (an '05) to compare. Hope y'all have a good week.

Re: Some specific questions

"4. Do the solid FB wheels make any difference in a side-wind?"

NO urban myth they do not will not and can not.
46,000 plus miles on this FB wind anit blow it over yet and it has been ridden in some mean weather.
cleanit.jpg
Sorry,Smitty:i beg to differ.I can ride both of my brothers' Fatboys and then hop back onto my FLSTN and i can notice the difference.There is a distinct feeling of movement.Of the bike being less -for want of a better word-stable.Of being buffetted.
Note,i'm NOT saying it will blow over or crash:i AM saying that i (and both my brothers admit to it too)feel the solid rims are affected by crosswinds.

Sorry,Smitty:i beg to differ.I can ride both of my brothers' Fatboys and then hop back onto my FLSTN and i can notice the difference.There is a distinct feeling of movement.Of the bike being less -for want of a better word-stable.Of being buffetted.
Note,i'm NOT saying it will blow over or crash:i AM saying that i (and both my brothers admit to it too)feel the solid rims are affected by crosswinds.

Maybe true at very low speeds. Otherwise it's in your imagination. It's a simple matter of physics - once the wheel is spinning at any normal speed, the spokes will act as a solid and react the same as a disc wheel. Try spinning a spoked bicycle whhel as fast as you can and then have someone direct compressed air or even air from a fan on it - you'll definitely feel it pulling even though you're saying it shouldn't because it's spoked.

Thanks for everyone's replies so far. I'm leaning more towards the Fat Boy that the Heritage Softail Classic--only for stud-ocity reasons; that is, too many darn studs in the HSC seat and bags for my taste!!!

If anyone would care to address one or more of these specific questions I would appreciate your insights.

1. How does the fatter rear tire (200 vs. 150) of the Fat Bot vs. the HSC affect handling, stability and ride?

2. I see on the H-D website where windshields for the FB are offered for bikes with or without passing lights. If I plan to get a windshiled now and add passing lights later, is it Ok to go ahead and install the windshield made for bikes with passing lights--even if they won't actually be on the bike?

3. I want any bags or sissy bar I later add to be quick-release. Again, looking at the H-D website it is completely confusing (and expensive) as to what actually has to be purchased to make all that work as desired. Bottom line: Is it possible to do? (I'm guessing the answer is "yes" if you just throw enough money at H-D, right?).

Again, thanks for any thoughts in advance. I've ridden an '09 HSC and loved it. I'm hoping to ride a FB this week (an '05) to compare. Hope y'all have a good week.

2. Yes you can put a quick release windshield on the fatboy and later add passing lamps if you choose. Look at mine. It will accomodate passing lamps.

3. I chose "leather pros" saddle bags because they don't have the studs, won't sag and are quick release. Also cheaper than Boss bags.

4. I don't feel a difference with the solid wheel but others swear they do. Either way not enough to make you wreck.

Still fairly new on my FB, so the following is worth what was paid for it...

1. Only demo'ed the HSC twice, own the FB - there's a difference, but I'm not able to if it'll have a real effect on my day-to-day riding (so for me, at this point - no)...

2. Not sure, haven't eatten enough bugs yet to make me look into the windshield (nothing against them, right now I prefer to ride without).

3. Bottom line is yes - I've done the sissy bar, with plans for the bags shortly... actually worked with the dealership here and have all of the HD part numbers written down somewhere if you need.

4. Again, with my experience - yes there's a difference... once you start riding one over the other I don't think it'll cross your mind again (until you switch up again, then you'll notice a difference - not saying good or bad, just different).

I know what you mean about the studs and conchos but in the end its a personal preferance I really like the looks of the deluxe . Either way you go its a lot of money not to be happy with your dicision so test ride all of the models that catch your eye more than once if you need to. I like the fatboy as well but probably wouldnt put bags or a windshield on one on the other hand if you like the heritage you could always change the seat cause it sounds like your leaning towards thr heritage .

We will have to agree to diagree on the Fb rims I switch up often I have two bikes some times I switch on same day I have never found the rims to be any kind of a issue in wind.
And niether have any of the other Fb owner I know

I have to agree with ya here smitty. I had a solid wheel on the NT and didn't feel any difference. When I put it on some people said I would but I never did.

Back