free website stats program Softail Bags are Hard | Harley Davidson Forums

Softail Bags are Hard

doctor727

I have an '04 Heritage Softail and the leather bags are out of shape and hard. I have a "Got Saggy Bags" kit but the right bag is really out of shape and hard to flex. I have been working on both bags with a good leather conditioner, but so far no noticeable change. Does anyone have any suggestions to fix this problem?

Two of my previous bikes had deformed, dry bags. I got the leather good and damp, then stuffed them with boxed wine bladders and misc pieces of plastic and wood to get the shape back, and let dry. Then I reconditioned them.
I doubt my method is the approved way to do it, but they retained their shape for quite a while.

That is what I thought about doing. Just thought I would see if there was a better way. It is only one side so it might not be too bad to do. :bigsmiley12:

Before I installed the bag shaper/stiffener I sprayed the inside of the bag with a water lanolin solution. Took about two days spraying about 4 or 5 times a day to get them soft and pliable. Inserted the shapers and they have been good to go for about 3 years now.

Doc: There are as many ways to re-condition leather as there are folks who do it... My bags were in rough shape when I bought my bike last year. They had sat in a cardboard box in the guy's garage for many years.
I bought a big bottle of Neatsfoot oil from Tractor Supply and applied it inside and out for about 2 weeks with a soft sponge applicator. Pay particular attention to the hinge areas and belt straps. When they were pliable I bought a bag kit off of the eBay and installed them. The glue for the top plates did not hold that well but did the job. After a couple of weeks of rides and sun the bags filled out nicely.
To finish the job I applied regular black boot polish and hand buffed to soft luster. This also took care of the light spots in the color. They really look nice now and did not cost to much to bring them back to very fine condition. Take a peek at my public pics and check out the results.
Rick KC2HTV

Thanks for the tips Guys. This is what I was looking for. Don't want to get way into this, but I think this will fill the bill. I will take before and after pics and tell which wat I finished them for the next saggy bag question.

Back