free website stats program Soft lowers in the rain? | Harley Davidson Forums

Soft lowers in the rain?

futurerider

A friend gave me soft lowers and suggested that I never use the in temps above 50 degrees, that the engine will overheat.

I will be ridding tomorrow to attend a riders course and it is calling for rain in the morning. I recently purchased rain pants, jacket and gloves, did not think of slip over boots.

I do not want to damage the bike just to keep the feet dry, but it seems to me the air that will be deflected and could go either around the bike and cause it to overheat, or be funnelled into the front cylinder and keep it cool.

Can I use the soft lowers if it is or has been rainning to keep my feet dryer?

It is expected to be 65 - 70 degrees in the morning and rainning.
I have aproximately a 40 minute ride, it could be highway or 2 lane. either way the average speed will be 40-50 MPH. I have a 2009 RK, stock, amsoil syn.

Should I or shouldn't I?

I consider my soft lowers one of my best purchases. They are effective in rain and cold. I use them when I need them, regardless of the temp. I remove them for sustained slow riding above 60 degrees in dry conditions.

Even though HD said remove them when temp is above 50, I've use them on rainy days which temp is around mid 60 on highway for about an hour, did not see any different in engine temp, they do keep my feet dry though.

I have and 02 Road King, I leave the lowers on to about 70. When I get caught in the rain they go on regardless of the temp.

I agree with all here, I have a set and they go on when I know I am going to be in the rain. I wouldn't leave them on above fifty degrees give or take but you will be ok for what you are planning.

It seems everyone agrees, if it is raining or wet in the morning, I will put them on for the trip and take them off for the class.

Thanks for the replies.

I use soft lowers any time the weather is cool and always in the rain. I have actually tested the temp difference @ 70 degrees with lowers on and off, under identical conditions and there was no difference on my temp gauge.

I'm a little puzzeled here. If the guys riding the Ultras can leave the hard lowers on year round, why all the concern about the soft lowers on the other bikes ?

I'm a little puzzeled here. If the guys riding the Ultras can leave the hard lowers on year round, why all the concern about the soft lowers on the other bikes ?

I'm wondering the same thing. I put lowers on my 09 Road Glide and the oil temperature only went up a few degrees.

I thought the same thing about the Ultra's, I concluded that that the soft lowers were flat and the air could be deflected away from the engine, down and around the bike. The Ultra's are rounded and would definaty force air to the engine.

Back