free website stats program So you are afraid of heights ????? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

So you are afraid of heights ?????

Not so much when I was younger, but now that I'm older/wiser...certain height situations make me think more. Recently was hanging over roof of 2-story house installing holiday lights & thinking "this could go bad" so I might initiate the "nothing higher than I can reach" clause next year.

For now, the holiday lights look sweet!
:newsmile018:

My last 6 years before retiring from the Operating Engineers Union was operating Tower Cranes in the San Franscisco Bay and Sacramento, California areas. The highest Tower Crane I ever had to climb was 500 feet. It wore me out. It took almost 45 minutes to climb it, taking a break every 100 feet. If you can imagine climbing a ladder up a 50 story building, it's a killer. Once the outside windows were installed on the building, there was no way to take the elevator and cross a scaffold bridge to the top part of the crane's mast. I hated that climb. One day the foreman says on the radio, "Hey, we've got a safety meeting at noon. You have to come down for that." My reply, "If you think I'm going to climb this crane twice in one day, you're out of your mind."

But here's a good story for you. When I was younger and stupid, I used to skydive. One day I paid to do a hot air balloon jump for the novelty of it. The balloon pilot didn't know that was an airplane pilot, and asked, "Does it scare you to be up in a balloon?" My reply, "Why should I be scared...I'm the one wearing a parachute."

Another reason for that 3,000 foot Balloon jump was to see if my skydiving rig was suitable for a base jump off a 400 foot tower crane which I was invited to do. Again....young and stupid. I really didn't want to do that BASE jump but was curious if my canopy would open fast enough if I had done it. The canopy snivled (didn't open). It just flapped like a big curtain blowing in the wind. I kept pumping the risers and glancing at my altimeter. Finally at 1,200 feet, it blossomed open. Had it not, I would have cut-away and pulled the reserve. Needless to say, had I accepted to do that BASE Jump, I wouldn't be here today writing this.

Back