free website stats program So what makes the 06+ FXDL a "Low Rider"? | Harley Davidson Forums

So what makes the 06+ FXDL a "Low Rider"?

Mr Bentwrench

Looking at a bent '07 FXDL this afternoon. From my XL experience, the Sportster Low's and now Super Lows typically have a shorter rear shock and shorter fork tubes, damping rods and springs.

I can find no official specs on the suspension for the '07 FXDL. I would suspect that the OEM rear shock is probably an 11"? Would the regular Super Glide have come with a 12"? What is the level of precision here. Is a 10.5" referred to an "11", or an 11.5" or a 12.5" referred to as a "12"?

OEM fork tubes were 49mm and 26". If a 26", I would then assume that the Low Rider was just fitted with a shorter spring set for a drop. How much? Perhaps 2"?

In short, because I am rebuilding the front end, I have some choices:
> Slam it - 10" & low springs?
> Stock Low Rider ride height - 11" and low springs?
> Regular Dyna height - 12" and reg springs?
> Sport ride height - sport 13.5", 28" tubes and sport springs? (FXDX?)

Anyway... what I need now is really just how low WAS low for the last of the FXDL Low Riders? :unsure

The '07 Low Rider and Street Bob seat height was advertised @ 26.8. The Super Glide was listed @ 27.8 (data from Bikez.com). Although I have a Dyna, I have not kept up with what was changed on all of the submodels. I'd guess shorter shocks and/or fork springs. Harley don't spend money to make 1" frame changes.

In doing some research the HD p/n for '07 FXD & 07 FXDL have the same part #'s for the tubes & springs. The rear shocks are different. In looking at Drags book they show a 12.5" shock for the FXD/I and a 12.0" shock for the FXDL. HD doesn't show lengths in there parts look up.
tourbox

Thanks for the replies. This was about what I was finding as well.

So, the 'Low Rider' model simply had 1/2" shorter rear shocks! :lolrolling

And possibly a lower, more scalloped seat.

I have the 2007 model brochure and the photos show a different seat on each model. The Low Rider one appears to place the rider more into the bike.

Back