Snapon Harley fuel tank locking ring tool

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by ironmark, Jul 11, 2011.

1. ironmark

ironmark Junior Member

Snapon makes a "Harley fuel tank locking ring tool", Snapon stock#HFTLRT at a cost of $45.40 with free shipping. The Snapon tool is made of ABS plastic so it will not scratch the paint if the tool slips. All the other lock ring removal tools I looked at started at $80 and went up in price from there and the tools were made of metal which could scratch the paint if the tool slips. You can see the tool on the Snapon web site by entering the stock #.

2. R_W_B

R_W_B Senior Member

Is this for the EFI fitting ? Anyhow thanks for posting, never can tell when I might need something like this.

3. ironmark

ironmark Junior Member

No! This tool is for the Fuel Tank locking ring that secures the fuel pump housing into the gas tank. This tool is needed to remove and install the fuel pump so you can service the fuel filter/fuel pump/fuel sending unit. The metal tool from Georges speciality tools is $79.95 and it is $139 in the drag specilties book.

4. R_W_B

R_W_B Senior Member

Oooh yea now I know what you're talkin about. I'm gonna check out SNAP ON now. Don't have the money right now to buy it but gonna record the link. Thanks man.

Yep here is the link.
    http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?search=true&item_ID=90482&PartNo=HFTLRT&group_id=17500&supersede=&store=snapon-store&tool=all

5. cromedome

cromedome Active Member

Harley Davidson and Snap On? That has to be an expensive tool....

6. cool breeze

cool breeze Active Member

I made mine out of a piece of 5 inch I/D pipe cut it out with a saber saw

7. R_W_B

R_W_B Senior Member

I've heard of another guy sometime back making a tool for tank guts. Can you post up a pic ? Would love to see how you did that.

8. cool breeze

will do when I get home mine is made out of sch 40 steel and it cut alot easier than i thought it would

9. cool breeze

Heres some of my home made tools, some of them with the help of Glider. harley pictures 2.jpg

harley pictures 4.jpg

harley pictures 5.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  10. R_W_B

R_W_B Senior Member

Thanks guy, I think I get the jest of what you did even though I can't seem to get the pic to zoom very big.