Smoke smell in Leather

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by Whiterook, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Whiterook

Whiterook Member

I just got a nice HD leather jacket on eBay. It's great except that it smells like cigarette smoke. It's so bad, my whole house smells like smoke. (Obviously I'm not a smoker.) Anyone know of a way to get rid of the smoke smell? Thanks!!!!!

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

You can use Lexol leather conditioner or Leather new and it should do it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

Try Febreeze, my wife used it on some stuff (fabric,not leather)she got from cigar smoking Dad. It worked pretty good.

4. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

ditto on the febreeze my wife smokes and it does the job on her dress clothes also

5. wildspirit97

wildspirit97 Senior Member

if you can't get the smell out yourself, try calling a local dry cleaner, and see what they say. I bet they would help you out. :s

6. CGDAVE

CGDAVE New Member

Try getting a vanilla candle and put it in a small area such has a box. The vanilla candle scent will extract the odor. Of course keep in mind a fire hazard.

7. DynaBike

DynaBike Member

hmm... I'd go with Gliders recommendation. I like Fabreeze, but don't know if I'd spray it on real leather. My bottle says not recommended for leather due to water spotting.

8. glider

glider Veteran Member

I was talking to a collector that sells on ebay locally here and he mentioned about this product and how it really works to eliminate an odor from articles that were in an old house or attic that have an odor to them and that it removes it in a few days if you put the item in a bag with one of theses.

May be worth a try...

Amazon.com: Bad Air Sponge All Purpose Odor Neutralant 1 ea: Home Garden

9. martillo

martillo Active Member

also being a power boater , have tried this with success, proactivecleaningsystems.com

10. Spade5

Spade5 Active Member

Put it in a box or even better, one of those hanging plastic clothes bags and throw in a couple of Bounce dryer sheets. Somehow they absorb the smell. Every now an then I get a wet musty smell in the pickup and I put a couple under the seat, and in a day or two, the smell is gone. It isn't like they add a cover up smell but they soak up the offending smell.