free website stats program slop in belt drive | Harley Davidson Forums

slop in belt drive

fatboy15th

I have a 2005 fatboy i have it on my motorcycle jack. I have the bike in gear. when I move the back tire back and forth I have slop where the front belt pulley meets the clutch is this normal

Define slop.

There is a belt tension spec for the drive belt so it could be normal. You might want to invest in a Shop Manual.

the belt tension is good when i rotate the back wheel back and forth it will move a half inch each way before the clutch moves almost like the spline is wore out but i dont know if that is normal.

That is Normal. What you are feeling is the rotational play in the "Drive Dogs" on the gears that are being used by the gear you selected.

It is a funny feeling and you would not expect it but it is perfectly normal.

thanks alot for the help hoople i appreciate it.

Try the movement real easy again,,,, FEELING the gears touching(back and forth) "Then" If you get More movement beyond the tranny gears,, It is the Play in the primary chain... IF too much is noticed Check the Clearance setting of the primary chain... This is also what you may feel... Check the primary chain UNLESS it is the automatic tensioner system..
I don't know if your 05 used the auto.. If you have a small inspection cover (oval small door) on the primary ,,, Not the derby cover.. take it off when COLD and feel with your finger Up and Down to see if Too Loose. Look at your book for proper way and dimensions(1/2 to 3/4 inch play normally) for setting the chain properly...

signed....BUBBIE

you should be able to move the belt 3 marks on your belt gaurd with 10 lbs of pressure. u can pic up a belt tension gauge at any auto parts store

Back