free website stats program slipage | Harley Davidson Forums

slipage

lagrato

Banned
I just bought a 88 electraglide classic. My clutch began slipping. I gave it a once over according to info in this forum. At first all was fine no slipage what so ever. But when I ride enough to warm up like 10 miles or so crusin about 3000 rpm and crack the throtle the slip comes back. I have readjusted several times but the same results. New clutch plates. This bike has been sitting for a few years. I am going to change all fluids. Do you have any suggestions? I am at wits end with this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If the adjustment doesn't do it, then it's time for a replacement more than likely.
The clutch plates look ok are there any guage to check wear? Is the fact that it works until temperature rises leads you to this opinion on replacing the clutch? Is the pressure plate included in this r-n-r? thanks.

The clutch plates look ok are there any guage to check wear? Is the fact that it works until temperature rises leads you to this opinion on replacing the clutch? Is the pressure plate included in this r-n-r? thanks.

Assuming you adjusted the clutch completely cold and that you did the adjustment correctly and '88 bike has a few miles on it and the slippage could be the result of use. If you disassemble and check the plates out, you can measure them and with a caliper to determine the wear on them an go from there. You can generally just replace the clutch discs as long as there is no abnormal wear or scoring to the rest of the parts.

thanks, so much for the guys word about installing a new clutch. it was supposed to have a complete rebuild in 06, cases and a whole list of goodies cam crank, lifters etc. it was a police special.

thanks, so much for the guys word about installing a new clutch. it was supposed to have a complete rebuild in 06, cases and a whole list of goodies cam crank, lifters etc. it was a police special.

Taking the previous owner at his word FWIW, maybe it's an adjustment that is causing the problem after all. Try doing it again and see what you get.

Back