free website stats program slight forward move when starting | Harley Davidson Forums

slight forward move when starting

william5763

Hello, I have a 2000 Electra glide. When I start it, I can feel a slight forward kick. Just wondering if its normal? Thanks!

Let me guess. When you start it, you have it in gear with the clutch lever pulled in?

That puts a terrible extra load on your starter. Especially if the bike is cold or the 1st start of the day when primary oil is thick.

Hoople is spot on. I always try to start it in neutral. On the rare occasion that I do start it while in gear, mine does the same thing.

If you are starting your bike in gear with clutch pulled in STOP unless you have stalled in traffic. This is hard on the clutch, starter and tranny. Read your owners manual for proper starting, you may be surprised how many do not follow the proper starting techniques

Thanks guys. I always have it in neutral when I start it. The couple times it did it, I guess I didnt check first. Thanks again.

When cold, or the first use of the clutch in the day, the clutch plates are stuck together, held by the cool oil. I call it "stickage." The plates need to be twisted apart. I never try to start the engine in gear for that reason. The same holds true for your first shift into gear for the day. That big "clunk" is due to "stickage." I always start in neutral, with the clutch pulled (likely redundant). Then, I pull the clutch for 20-30 secs and crack the throttle a few times, to try to get the clutch plates to come free, before dropping into first for the first time of the day. I rarely get the big "clunk" anymore.

Enjoy,
Rich P

When cold, or the first use of the clutch in the day, the clutch plates are stuck together, held by the cool oil. I call it "stickage." The plates need to be twisted apart. I never try to start the engine in gear for that reason. The same holds true for your first shift into gear for the day. That big "clunk" is due to "stickage." I always start in neutral, with the clutch pulled (likely redundant). Then, I pull the clutch for 20-30 secs and crack the throttle a few times, to try to get the clutch plates to come free, before dropping into first for the first time of the day. I rarely get the big "clunk" anymore.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Lovely 'technical' explanation!

I do exactly the same with a slight forward twist.For the first start of the day I also just paddle the bike forward as I caress it into gear.

"Your" routine,coupled with my 'add-on' and coupled with my S-E Compensator really seems to make first up riding much smoother and quieter.

Works on all bikes---

Yep, always start mine in neutral, even when it is warmed up, just habit. The first time of the day I let it idle for 60 seconds or so, usually while strapping up my helmet and putting on my gloves.

Also, before engaging into gear for the first time of the day, I pull the clutch in for 10 seconds or so and rock back and forth a few times to slosh the fluids around a little bit.

Yep, Neutral, starter, idle, clutch, shift, ride. Very little clunk. "Stickage" is not that bad here in Florida during the summer. But cool weather is on the way. :(

Back