free website stats program Silent Gray Fellow? | Harley Davidson Forums

Silent Gray Fellow?

Randall K. Wilson

During what time period was the concept "Silent Gray Fellow" embraced by the Motor Co?
Does that mean the quieter the machine came passing by the better? Or was it in reference to the quiet internal workings of the engines moving parts?

I know a gent that will not go to Daytona Bike Week because of "to many drag pipes and to many black t-shirts." I once ask this party..."if the attendees wore white t-shirts and had real quiet cycles, then would you go back to Bike Week?" ( I did not get a reply, just a puzzled look )

I think the exact time period of S.G.F.'s is murky. The first HD baffle (muffler) was in 1910, I don't know if HD was the industry's 1st muffler. There are pictures of 1912 shipping crates with "the silent gray fellow" stenciled on them. In the early years, Yes the quieter the better. Remember, horses were the main transportation, and noisy gas engines greatly disturbed them. Imagine the chaos on main st. when a backfiring, popping, smoking vehicle caused all the horses to bolt.

Harley-Davidson's single cylinder 1908 model was the first to offer a color option other than piano black. It was a Renault gray. Thus the famous, "Silent Gray Fellow" ad. Fossil

Seems to be some disagreement where the term came from.

"The "Silent Gray Fellow" was the 1912 8a aka the silent gray fellow. This bike had one cylinder (35 cu inch (494.28cc)) and had 4.3 horsepower. The total weight of the bike was 111 kg and had a top speed of 50MPH. There were 545 of them built and the price of the bike in 1912 was $225. The bike looked more like a bicycle with a small motor then any bike we know today."

Trivia

Back