free website stats program Should I Squirt Oil in Cylinders? | Harley Davidson Forums

Should I Squirt Oil in Cylinders?

Bringing back a '95 Electra-Glide that hasn't been started in about 8 years. The pistons are free. Should I squirt a little oil on top of the cylinders and turn the crank a bit before I try to start the bike. I have the primary cover off, so cranking won't be a problem. What else should I do to get a little oil onto the moving parts before I hit the switch? (Just finished going through the fuel tank, injectors and lines. Not much fun.) Thanks - Joe

I think I would put a little Marvel Mystery Oil on top of it. Let it set to loosen any rings that may be stuck, pull the plugs and turn it by hand.

Got it. I think I'll use the diesel fuel instead of the Mystery oil. I've got the plugs pulled and no battery, so electrons won't be a problem. I just hope this thing fires up. It will be a few days before I get everything back together (working on the bike in-between honey-dos). I'll let y'all know if it comes back to life. Thanks again. Joe

I would go with the MMO, let it soak on top of the pistons for 24 hours, crank it over with the plugs out and then fire it up.

Morning, I'm a firm believer in the MMO, father in law had a vette he hadn't started in 10 years or so and woudn't turn over with the starter. We pulled the plugs and applied a little to each cylinder , let it sit for 2 days and rolled it with the flywheel by hand, installed the plugs and she fired right up, smoked for a few minutes and has been fine ever since. This was in the 90's my brother owns the car today and its running fine and doesn't use any oil.
JMHO with some history.

Keep the dirty side down, Ride Safe.
LEOG

Col: , if the gas tank is rusty on the inside, you can buy fuel tank sealant that coats the inside of the tank. i did this in '74 and i found that MEK
(methelethlkeytone) was the only stuff i could find that would thin the sealant down to a water like fluid. just pour it in, shake it to coat all the surfaces & dump the excess out. then be sure you use a pencil you open up the petcock area, just a thought.

Okay. You've convinced me. Bought a bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil and will use it. I've been completely through the fuel system. Tank had about a pint of rust inside it. Got the rust and most of the old liner out and relined the tank with Caswell's tank liner. Have a new fuel filter and fuel pump and replaced both the internal (rubber) fuel lines and all o-rings that I could. Couple of more days and I'll be ready to try to light a match to this thing and see if it takes off. Will be rolling the Rosary beads a few times before I hit the switch. Thanks again - Joe

Well. Got the bike all back together today. Pulled the battery from the Dyna and put it in the Glide. Hit the switch and after a few seconds, it fired right up. Ran it about 10 minutes and the engine and fuel system seem okay. It's idling on its own and seems pretty responsive to the throttle. Only problem is that the fuel gauge isn't working. Could be a wiring issue, or the float mechanism might be ka-poot. Now, gotta replace those 9 year old tires and check/repack the wheel bearings and I'm ready to ride. Have to re-learn how to ride the beast all over again though. Thanks for all the help. Joe

Back