free website stats program Short in brake lights | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Short in brake lights

Thanks for the replies everyone. I was doing what Glider said, unplugging one harness at a time till the short went away. And I thought I found it when I unplugged the harness going to the left handlebar switches, cause the short went away. Problem is that the short stayed away as I plugged the harness back in, indicating now that the problem is intermittent. Those are the hardest to find. I did wiggle the wires to try and get the short to return, with no luck. So for now everything is OK. I'm sure as I'm driving down the street the short will return sometime soon; just my luck! Oh well, at least I'm retired now and can spend all the time necessary to fix. Anything to keep it out of the dealers service department.

I would say since you were troubleshooting and the LAST item unplugged was that left handlebar wiring harness, I would start there. Take a look where the wiring is clamped together, be it zip ties or metal clips/clamps or where it passes thru any metallic sheetmetal or bulkheads.:11:

Not sure how many fuses you have gone through in your search for the short, but recently I was given a great piece of advice.

Go to a local auto parts store and pick up a 15 amp circuit breaker. Hook some wires to the terminals on the breaker, and then break open one of your old 15 amp fuses and use the metal prongs and solder them to the other end of the wires.

Now when you turn the system on it only trips the breaker, once it cools, it automatically resets and you can start over.

Will at least save money on fuses. Worked great for me when I was chasing a short in my high beam circuit.

If you need a pic let me know.

Have you switched out the factory switch pack for chrome??? Sometimes a wire inadvertently gets pinched.

Back