free website stats program Shifting problems | Harley Davidson Forums

Shifting problems

1patriotsman1

HEY, i'VE GOT A 2003 fATBOY AND I JUST STARTED HAVING PROBLEMS SHIFTING WITH THE HEEL-TOE PEGS RESPONDING. i WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE COULD TELL ME HOW TO CHECK THE TRANNY FLUID LEVEL AND HOW TO FILL IT IF IT NEEDS IT. aNY AND ALL HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

I had the same problem with my 2004 Heritage not too long after I had bought it new. I had it serviced at dealership and they had put in SE oil in all three holes as advertised. The next time I changed oil myself and used Amsoil MC oil in all hree holes and problem went away, I have also used Mobil 1 V Twin in all three holes with no problems. Thru the advice of many people in this forum I have started running 75/140 in the trans. now, it does shift a little better and is a whole lot quiter. I've also read somewhere that at one time there was an issue with the springs in the trans., but I would try the oil thing first and see what happens, it's a lot cheaper and easier.

Engine: Premium quality FULL synthetic 20W50 vtwin engine oil
Tranny: Premium quality FULL synthetic GL-5 75W140 gear lube
Primary: Fit-for-purpose wet clutch primary chaincase fluid like HD Formula + or Spectro Primary.

TQ

Back