Shifter return spring

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by DC Chad, Nov 25, 2014.

1. DC Chad

DC Chad Member

hi everyone

it would seem that i have a broken shifter return spring on my 1990 electraglide sport , after spending some time searching for an FAQ on the subject ive decided to pick your collective minds.

will this require a complete gearbox removal to change the springs or is it something i can do with the box in situ.

im fully aware i will need to remove the primary drive case etc , but im hoping not to have to strip the gearbox out .

many thanks in advance :)

Chad

2. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

It is a 2 dollar spring, tho you will need to pull the gear set out. This can be done with the case in the bike but it is a big job

3. DC Chad

DC Chad Member

Hi Jack
    thanks for the reply , your right its is a big job but at least i dont have remove the case:D im just in the process of girding my loins for the stripdown now . and getting hold of the springs etc.

4. tourbox

tourbox Senior Member

You can see the springs(2) by taking just the top off. Just to verify your problem. A friend thought he had the same problem but after removing the top I saw it the problem to on the detent end of the of the shifter pawl. It was replaceable by just lifting the shifter pawl out of the top, 4 bolts holding it in place.
    tourbox

5. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

[​IMG]
    With the cover off you should be able to see # 55 and 59
    There may be broken pieces in the bottom of the case a common problem with the 5 speeds

6. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

When doing the repair/replacement, file the sharp edge off of the stamped steel piece that the spring hooks to. That sharp edge is what caused many spring failures.

7. stray dog

stray dog Junior Member

Nice advice from tourbox in post #4.

If you don't have a manual, now is the time to get one :D

I would also replace every bearing and seal possible if you need to go so far as pulling the gear set. They are cheap compared to the tools you need & time spent working. JMO

8. DC Chad

DC Chad Member

you guys are fantastic :D

im told by the venerable Warrs HarleyDavidson of London that the smaller of the two springs are unavailable and if it is that one gone then im looking at a Pawl Anti overshift kit though at this point im struggling to locate one of those over here .. so ive ordered the larger one plus a new output shaft seal and gaskets etc , ive now removed the primary drive etc so im now at the Gearbox :panic:D

tomorrow evening i shall start on that , my parts should be with me on thursday so if all goes well and i dont find any horrors then i might just make a planned ride out this weekend :D:D:D

ill let you know how i get on tomorrow evening

once again thanks for your help :cheers

9. vonh12

vonh12 Member

Try and track down someone who makes springs. I'm sure like bearings if you have the size its a doable replacement item from a jobber.

10. stray dog

stray dog Junior Member

Baker Anti-Overshift Ratchet Pawl :

Baker Anti-Overshift Ratchet Pawl | 602-534 | JP Cycles