shifter removal help...

Discussion in 'Sportster Models' started by Lang, May 10, 2011.

1. Lang

Lang Member

hi everybody, just wondering if anyone knows a way to get the shifter off of the shifter shaft so i can remove the primary cover. i know i can bang a screw driver in there to spread it open but i dont want to knock anything out of whack. almost looks like i could use a puller of some kind to do it. thanks

Lang

2. glazier

glazier Junior Member

Make sure to remove the bolt completely, not just loosen it. You can spread the shifter a little with a screwdriver, but first spray a little WD-40 in there and see if that loosens it up.

3. Mattman4403

Mattman4403 Junior Member

After you remove the bolt (and you have to remove it not just loosen it) give it a shot of WD 40 or some other penetrating oil and let it set for a bit. Give it a wiggle or two and see if it will not loosen up..

4. glider

glider Veteran Member

Sounds like an echo in here :D

5. IBA Harley

IBA Harley Active Member

I've used a puller before. Get a generic puller that has a least 2 hooks on it to get behind it.

6. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

Or after removing bolt and spraying with WD-40 gentle pry open at split to aid in removing.

7. glazier

glazier Junior Member

Sounds like an echo in here......

Sounds like an echo in here......

Sounds like an echo in here.......

8. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

I bet he got it...w/all the echo...echo...echo. :s

9. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

HOPE SO......Hope So....hope so..

10. Lang

Lang Member

ok got it. i had to tap in a screw driver a little then get a pry bar and with a rag under it pry it off. its a small pry bar that actuall worked really well. but i might look for some kind of small puller for next time. the thing was really on there. but i got it. thanks everyone.