shift lever trouble E84 Sporty

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by kingfisherbiker, Feb 22, 2011.

1. kingfisherbiker

kingfisherbiker New Member

I was riding a couple days ago and when I went to down shift I couldn't pull in the shift lever. I had to force shift it and travel some back roads to get it home. I just had the clutch rebuilt and up until this problem it ran and rode great. Could this be the cable, the perch or maybe something deeper? Has anyone heard of this or had it happen? Any help is much appreciated....

2. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

How is the cable, stretched? Clutch adjusted properly and correct level of fluid in the primary, all factors here

3. kingfisherbiker

Thanks for the quick response Capt. Jack. The clutch is adjusted right and the fluid is good. The cable is older, could that be the prob? Has this ever happened to you?

4. Jack Klarich

Sure, as the cable stretches you loose the adjustment, try some lube on the cable and start over again Clutch Cable/Handle Lubrication - Harley Davidson Community

5. kingfisherbiker

Thanks Capt. Jack. I will try it. I posted a pic for ya on your post a pic here page whatcha think?

6. Jack Klarich

I like it, They are great bikes, I had a 88 ran it to Sturgis and back in 1990, I like the solo look:s