free website stats program Shift Lever Situation | Harley Davidson Forums

Shift Lever Situation

I'm kind of surprised I didn't find anything by "searching".

I rode a little Sunday morning. Was about 40 degrees out. I noticed about 3 times when I put it in 1st gear that the shift lever stayed down. Had to get the side of my boot under it to wiggle it back up to the center (natural) spot in order to get my foot under it to shift to 2nd. It wouldn't stick in the up position, just a few times in the down position in 1st gear. When I got home and it cooled a little I put a little miracle oil on my shifter shaft and the two linkage ends. Haven't messed with it since (work week...)

This has not happened before. I have about 250 miles on a fresh service with Spectro 6 speed in both holes. So, what do you think? Cold trany fluid to blame? Could I have a broken return spring or something? I guess I could just see what it does when the weather warms up, but mean while I'm curious. Thanks!

That's the symptom of a broken return spring, but I haven't heard of a broken spring on a 2008 (yet). Try working the lever with your hand. You should be able to feel if there is spring pressure pushing up, or if it's hanging. Maybe something like a breather hose rubbing on your linkage behind the primary case?

Also, make sure the pivot point isn't gummed up (mud, road dirt, etc). This is where the splined shaft goes through the bracket. I had that happen once on mine and it gave the same symptom.

Cool guys. I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens. My old school trouble shooting skills always ask "What did you do recently before the problem showed up?" That would be fresh oil change is all. And climate was pleanty chilly... So, maybe it's that. But the three tips will be places to look if that's NOT it. Thanks

Its not the oil. As mentioned pivot points and as Breeze says check for spring tension with your hand. Let us know what you find.

Bodeen

i hade the same problem with my night train . i took off the the whole shift shaft cleaned it & put fresh marine grease on the shaft . havent had any problems since. it seems to kinda rusts up & collects road grime.its a maintence thing i guess.(missed you on saturday at the port hole)

Back