free website stats program Servicing | Harley Davidson Forums

Servicing

The sportster engine oil is drained from the oil tank
the oil tank drain hose is a hose coming from the bottom of the oil tank that fits to a bung on the frame and is secured using a spring clip or worm drive clip
pull the securing clip then pull the hose off the bung oil will come out sorted

i would give a wee bit more info on location of the drain hose to frame location but 1200 sportster leaves it open to various locations as 1200 sportster have been made for nearly 25 years and they have changed stuff once or twice over that time period so year of bike is critical to any info you require

Brian

The sportster engine oil is drained from the oil tank
the oil tank drain hose is a hose coming from the bottom of the oil tank that fits to a bung on the frame and is secured using a spring clip or worm drive clip
pull the securing clip then pull the hose off the bung oil will come out sorted

i would give a wee bit more info on location of the drain hose to frame location but 1200 sportster leaves it open to various locations as 1200 sportster have been made for nearly 25 years and they have changed stuff once or twice over that time period so year of bike is critical to any info you require

Brian
I just bought my first harley and its a 00 1200 custome and I would like to know how to change the transmission oil on it? thks.

I just bought my first harley and its a 00 1200 custome and I would like to know how to change the transmission oil on it? thks.

Your sportster shares the oil between the primary and the gearbox the drain plug is toward the rear of the primary on the underside bike should be upright when draining the oil and when checking the oil level Harley formula+ is a good oil for that shared system or find an oil that states on it that it is suitable for the sportster transmission

Brian

Back