free website stats program SERT Tuner | Harley Davidson Forums

SERT Tuner

DynaBob09

Instead of paying the dealer to use the SERT I bought to load the map for my stage 1 I plan on installing, I was considering buying the necessary cable and software and doing it myself. I only have the Tuner. I wish I could read the manual to see what’s involved. Would anyone have an electronic version they are willing to share? Or give me an idea how difficult it is to tune the bike myself?

i also have the 2009 fatbob i just posted on the other link about the power commander v i got one its great all cables etc great tech help(free!) free map programs and free custom map programs depending upon yr needs 349.00 for the kit great deal all map programs are general the reason i suggested a professional tuner is on the dyno he adjusted the map and made small suddle changes THERE is a difference in the performance and milegage most people dont believe in dyno just do it yr self but its easy to make a small error and well ya know what can happen besides a good tuner will walk you through what he did and why he did it so next time ya will know best 250 i ever spent on the dyno enlighten and taught by a pro think about yr initial investment what 15k ride on and ride safe

I was considering buying the necessary cable and software and doing it myself.

Using the SEST can get involved. Just loading a tune file (set of maps) that was prepared for you is no big deal, but to really modify a file or cells on your own requires an exhaust analyzer and a lot of testing time. Unless you FULLY understand fuel injection and have a deep understanding of all the sensors, (especially the MAP sensor and engine load) I would not jump into tuning my own file.

I know this is a little late. but do not buy the SERT. It marries to your scooter forever and is expensive to tune and offers no advantage over other fuel management. I know cause I had one.......... Never again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks!!!

Already bought it.... I was aware of it marrying the bike. I only paid $265. so the price was not that bad.

They are a good unit and will work well. I just found out the hard way that they are expensive to tune and lots of people who say they can tune it really can't. If you find one who can, the SERT does a good job when tuned properly.

Take care of and keep SERT in a safe place. Cause you know what will happen if damaged or lost.........

Instead of paying the dealer to use the SERT I bought to load the map for my stage 1 I plan on installing, I was considering buying the necessary cable and software and doing it myself. I only have the Tuner. I wish I could read the manual to see what’s involved. Would anyone have an electronic version they are willing to share? Or give me an idea how difficult it is to tune the bike myself?
Do you have the SERT or the SEST? The Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner should be bought with the cable kit and the Software package. When you install the software it will prompt you to go online and download the latest maps. Then you pick the map that best suits your application and use the cables to patch through the VCI interface box and into the data link on the fuse panel so that you can flash the ECM on your bike. You can then use the Smart Tune feature by strapping the VCI module to your bike and using it to record real time road info. Then you can download this info to your computer program and it will instruct you on which parameters to modify.

Ah ha.. finally, Something that makes sense. With the SEST you can download a base map based on your configuration of your bike and do a smart tune? I suppose a dyno would be a bonus minus a couple hundred dollars. If the downloads work good enough, I'll be saving me $250.

The manual for the SERT is fairly straight forward. It gives you a complete procedure on how to tune. It explains what is going on with the EFI. How it works.

I did it on my 2006 Low Rider. Loaded a map that was closest to my config. Then I set the laptop to record and went for a 20 minute ride. The laptop has to be connected because the information records to the laptop. Took the information it recorded on the laptop and adjusted the factory file.

It took 3 rides to get it where I wanted it.

SEST will record on board without the laptop. The software will take the data and suggest the changes to the tables.

Back