Seat Bolt

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by Scrounger, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Scrounger

Scrounger Active Member

Anyone else having issues with the rear seat bolt coming loose all the time. I lost the stock one, had to buy a knurled knob one while on the road and it still comes loose. Time to get out the blue loctite for sure I guess. Maybe a bolt with an allen head so I can torque it down.

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

Try a star washer under th head. I went with the allen head bolt and that worked also.

3. sharpscuba

sharpscuba Banned

I too had that happen to me. I use a lock washer now. It has worked so far.

4. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

I changed mine to a stainless hex head allen fastener for security and torque...plain washer underneath to prevent scratching fender, no problems loosening.

5. jaceddie

jaceddie Junior Member

I have a back rest and don't use the screw. With the back rest on, the seat can't come off and it's easier to get to on the road if I have a problem.

6. Safehaven

Safehaven Active Member

I use a star washer under my bolt.

7. ultradoc

ultradoc Active Member

jaceddie, that's a good point. I have an ultra with a back rest. Never thought to keep the seat screw off. Thanks!

8. ironmark

ironmark Junior Member

Same here but I use a star washer on top of the flat washer , no problems here either . Make sure you use stainless so it wont rust and DO NOT over tighten it will mess up the threads and you will have a hard time removing the bolt when you need too . I also replaced the bolt at the front of the tank console with stainless .

9. Cleftwynd

Cleftwynd Banned

I replaced the stud and then drilled a small hole through the bolt to use a push pin, that way I can change seats in less than 5 seconds... I change the seat depending on if I have a passenger or going on a long trip.. etc...

Bill

10. Scrounger

Scrounger Active Member

That sounds like a killer idea. How about a pic or two of that one.